• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who has rescued a stray bunny ? found on the street or wandering around ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
I saw on RU yesterday 2 bunnies found and rescued by 2 RU'ers. One was dumped and being chased by a dog. The other I think was found wandering the streets too.

I know someone found a box with a friendly bunny in it at their front door last week as well. They called him Boo.

It is really wonderful they have been saved. But sad that there seems to be domesticated rabbits on the loose, exposed to many dangers.

Is this becoming more common, or has this always been happening ?

Who has rescued a stray bunny ?

I saw on RU yesterday 2 bunnies found and rescued by 2 RU'ers. One was dumped and being chased by a dog. The other I think was found wandering the streets too.

I know someone found a box with a friendly bunny in it at their front door last week as well. They called him Boo.

It is really wonderful they have been saved. But sad that there seems to be domesticated rabbits on the loose, exposed to many dangers.

Is this becoming more common, or has this always been happening ?

Who has rescued a stray bunny ?

I rescued a stray bunny around 5/6 years ago :) Took me a good few hours to catch the poor mite but we caught her eventually!
Luckily, we had a bun anyway so had all supplies needed :)
Our story had a happy ending though... My dad put posters all round our estate and a few hours later a very distraught little girl and her mum came and collected her :) Turns out she was only from the front of our estate and had managed to dig out of her run!
Was a nice ending :) And the only stray bun I've ever rescued :D

When I was 10/11 though, I had a black lop eared bun called Rosie who made it her mission to escape constantly. She was always found in our next door neighbours garden eating his cabbage patch though :D

Really, where did you find them ?

My uncle found one... was about 4 weeks old, teeny little thing. Was in his back garden, the dog found it.

The other one my mams friends friend found and brought it round.

Everyone who knows my mam (which is a lot of people) knows her daughter has a good colelctions of pets so they all get brought to me :lol:

I've had dogs and cats too

I once found a baby squirrel on our door step. OH is convince someone put it there for us. I put it in a box with a towel and water. Rang around and got some food advice. No-one would take it though.

Found out you are not meant to help a squirrel. I thought sod that, I will and I did. One place was very helpful, but unfortunately the next day the baby squirrel went down hill.

I phoned this guy back and he turned up with an animal ambulance. He put the squirrel on oxygen but sadly it died. We gave him a donation. He and his elderly wife ran this all by themselves.

Just found the details. Willowwild life Rescue in Kent.

My Giles was dumped in a box in a carpark. I didnt find him, he was then handed into my work (i worked in a petshop at the time) and i took him on. He was in a horrid state. He wasnt meant to be a permanent bunny, but after the work involved to get him healthy, i couldnt let him go

Picture008.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Then a neighbour came to my door the other day, having found a rabbit running about, she just wanted some advice.

I think dumping rabbits is really common, it just depends if they are lucky enough to be found by someone who cares.

My Giles was dumped in a box in a carpark. I didnt find him, he was then handed into my work (i worked in a petshop at the time) and i took him on. He was in a horrid state. He wasnt meant to be a permanent bunny, but after the work involved to get him healthy, i couldnt let him go

Picture008.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Then a neighbour came to my door the other day, having found a rabbit running about, she just wanted some advice.

I think dumping rabbits is really common, it just depends if they are lucky enough to be found by someone who cares.

:cry:

That is shocking. I couldn't even work out what your photos were, but now realise it is Giles ear. How could any person, ever, let this happen. :cry::cry:

He looks so lovely in your signature.

:cry:

That is shocking. I couldn't even work out what your photos were, but now realise it is Giles ear. How could any person, ever, let this happen. :cry::cry:

He looks so lovely in your signature.

It is indeed his ear, and the back of his neck/shoulder. He was also painfully thin and had a head tilt. He was remarkably easy to care for though, didn't require a mass of work or money to get him better, which makes it even more disgusting. He is much better now, i have had him for a couple of years. He is a great boy

This was the extend of the hair loss during the healing process

Picture015.jpg

And him much better

bunsjan014.jpg

Sorry, i have thread jacked a little bit :oops:

I did. Poor Bella was found in a car park. There are foxes in the area, so I am so relieved someone found her when they did. I took her as I already have buns so was all set up in terms of food etc. She's ended up changing my life :D, as I was so upset and touched by her plight, that I decided to become an RSPCA fosterer so I could help other bunnies in a small way as well.

After being with me for 4 months, Bella is now at the top of the list to go into a rescue :D:D (I would have loved to keep her, but didn't want to bond her with my two as I was so paranoid about changing their dynamics, so I would have needed to get a fourth bun as a friend to her, and unfortunately I just can't afford all those vet bills :cry:). I am so pleased she might find a new loving home now, although I will be distraught to say goodbye to her :?

Awww he is beautiful. :love::love::love: He looks such a gentle soul.

The ear healing is such an improvement on the first photo. Was it all scabby or some sort of dreadful mite infestation ? I have never seen anything like it.

I did. Poor Bella was found in a car park. There are foxes in the area, so I am so relieved someone found her when they did. I took her as I already have buns so was all set up in terms of food etc. She's ended up changing my life :D, as I was so upset and touched by her plight, that I decided to become an RSPCA fosterer so I could help other bunnies in a small way as well.

After being with me for 4 months, Bella is now at the top of the list to go into a rescue :D:D (I would have loved to keep her, but didn't want to bond her with my two as I was so paranoid about changing their dynamics, so I would have needed to get a fourth bun as a friend to her, and unfortunately I just can't afford all those vet bills :cry:). I am so pleased she might find a new loving home now, although I will be distraught to say goodbye to her :?

She is one beautiful bunny. :love::love::love:
I can understand not being able to get a 4th bunny. We couldn't afford to either.
You have given her a great start. :wave:

I rescued a couple of stray bunnies- some when i was younger, one more recently, but i reunited the bun called ruby with her owner- a little girl who had lost her.

Awww he is beautiful. :love::love::love: He looks such a gentle soul.

The ear healing is such an improvement on the first photo. Was it all scabby or some sort of dreadful mite infestation ? I have never seen anything like it.

It was a severe case of ear mites. It was a mix of puss, wax and mite build up in his ear. It was so bad and so itchy that he had a very deep wound running through his ear too, it was the hardest bit to heal, took the best part of a year to get it sorted completly, and its still quite lumpy.
His other ear was infested but not as badly, and his shoulder was a knock on effect from the mites. He was a sorry state.

It was a severe case of ear mites. It was a mix of puss, wax and mite build up in his ear. It was so bad and so itchy that he had a very deep wound running through his ear too, it was the hardest bit to heal, took the best part of a year to get it sorted completly, and its still quite lumpy.
His other ear was infested but not as badly, and his shoulder was a knock on effect from the mites. He was a sorry state.

:cry: You just cannot understand why anyone would let this go untreated. Lucky he didn't lose his ear. That sound horrendous.

Sometimes I see stories of people 'rescuing' bunnies from the countryside - as in they've seen a pet looking bunn with a load of wild ones and decided it must need their help, and I don't really agree that's the right thing to do in those circumstances. If they are free, happy and have been accepted by the wild bunns why not just leave them to it?

And there are genetic mutations in some wild bunns which means they are different colours, so they may really be wild!

Not personally rescued any buns myself, though my two were found seperatly by members of the public (Sora was a stray in someone's garden, Smudge was found wandering in a children's playground) they arrived at the rescue home within a few months of one another and were bonded together.

Whoever lost them, they sure as heck aren't getting them back now :lol::love:

Sometimes I see stories of people 'rescuing' bunnies from the countryside - as in they've seen a pet looking bunn with a load of wild ones and decided it must need their help, and I don't really agree that's the right thing to do in those circumstances. If they are free, happy and have been accepted by the wild bunns why not just leave them to it?

And there are genetic mutations in some wild bunns which means they are different colours, so they may really be wild!

I've got one of those thanks to a well meaning RSPCA Inspector.

I love him loads but he should never have been caught and never subjected to a life in captivity when he knows better. He's happy, but its not the life he should have had.

Back