• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites?? treatment???

mudchild

Warren Scout
:DHi everyone,

Just thought I would come here for some advice. I am pretty sure my bunny Ozzy has mites on his fur on his back.
He has developed to patches of dry flaky skin that is kind of raised up.
He doesnt seem to be too itchy.

Is this something for the vet to treat or can I do it myself?
Any advice gladly appreciated!

Thanks

I think the vet will need to take a look, he made need anti biotics, but I'm not sure.

best to be on the safe side eh?? zx

He'll need a course of invectmectin which your vet can give you either in a spot on form or by injection if its really bad.

Cheyletiellosis (fur mites) look like walking dandruff.

great thanks for your replies. Will take him to the vets. Looked at online remedies but dont think i will risk it x

great thanks for your replies. Will take him to the vets. Looked at online remedies but dont think i will risk it x

No the most effective mite treatment is Ivermectin as already stated. This can be in drop form or by injection but will need to be given in 3 doses, 2 weeks apart for each dose.

Our girl bun had something very similar - the vet called it walking dandruff and she was treated with ivermectin spot on stuff. We have also used the injections with our three newest buns as two out of the three came with ear mites.

I think you are right to take your bun bun to the vets - the treatment is much more effective in this instance and will prevent further skin damage and soreness in the long run.

Good luck, let us know how it goes :wave:

Also if you ask your vet they might show you how to inject the medicine so you can do the other doses at home. Only if you want to though. Hope he gets sorted:D

Thanks all- both the bunnies have been treated at the vets now so fingers crossed it sill get rid of the pesky things!! xx

Back