• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help, OH has 'rescued' a rabbit - worried sick - another update p75 more piccies!!

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
My OH was on his way to Wolverhampton this morning to survey a site, and when he was nearly there he saw a sign outside a house saying "free rabbits to a good home", so out of curiosity he stopped to have a look........he's now in posession of a baby bunny, which according to him is brown with sticky up ears that looks a bit like Jess, so i'm thinking its probably a Nethie Dwarf.

Apparently the mummy bun was in a tiny tiny little hutch and the woman said "she (the mummy) wasn't happy with the babies" so she's "sought advice" and put the sign out on Saturday.

The poor loittle thing is in a big cardboard box with sawdust and nothing else :cry: he said he wouldn't be back up here until tonight and asked for some hay and she said "oh it'll be fine, don't worry about it" she didn't even put any water in :censored: So he's on his way to a pet shop to get some water and hay.

I'm worried sick about the poor little mite, it's going to be in the car all day and must be terrified, i don't even know if it's old enough to be seprated from mum, i'm just hoping the fact that she "sought advice" means that it is.

Part of me is glad that it is away from that horrible house and that it will get a good home with us, but the other part of me is mad at him for getting it like that and the fact it's going to be in the car all day - before I get shot down in flames, as much as I bang on about rabbit rights to my OH, he really doesn't know as much as we do and genuinely his heart was in the right place and thought he was doing the right thing in rescuing the bun, he said if it had been in a decent setup he would have left it but he couldn't walk away from it in those conditions.

He/she'll have to be indoors for now until i decide whether to try and bond with Joe&Jess or get another hutch and run and rescue a husbun/wifebun for them at a later stage, I've got a nice indoor cage and plenty of the usual supplies, but bearing in mind I don't know the age of this bunster should I restrict the diet to hay or get some junior nuggets too?

Pfffft, like I'm not stressed enough already with a baby on the way, now this happens :roll:

Last edited:
Well, at least the bunny will have some hay and water and food whereas if your OH didnt take him/her, they'd have had none :cry:

I'm sure s/he'll be alright for now till they get home try not to worry as much!

Bless it. Your OH is a good man.

I think the 'sought advice' means it is less likely to be 8 weeks old, to be honest.

I hope its not going to be in a car that is switched off today though. It will boil alive.

Hopefully it won't be too stressed when it gets home tonight and can settle in.

Will you be keeping it?

Thanks Kimmykat and Sky-O,

He'll keep the window down a little bit and park in the shade, and on the journey back (2 1/2 hours) he'll have the aircon on.

I'm sure we will ending up keeping it, i wouldn't have chosen to get another bun at the mo but I am a firm believer in things happening for a reason and it was obviously meant to be.

So, if I base everything on it being under 8 weeks old, what sort of diet and special care will it need? I've never had an underage bunny before.

:love::love::love: very few men would do that, bless his heart, as you say his heart was in the right place. Must be hormonal, I'm nearly in tears at how sweet he is :roll:

Bless him, he sounds such a good person.

At least this little bunny will be in a good place now. Lets just hope this woman doesn't breed again.

Please, please be careful with the car temperature. Even those measures are unlikely to keep the car very cool if your weather is anything like ours.

Aaaw - what a lovely man.

I wish I could meet a guy who cared so much about bunnies.

Not sure how you can keep the little one cool in a car though. Maybe buy some of those camping freezer packs to put around the box? Although I think they tend to come unfrozen.

Are there any RU members near where he is who could help out? I'm nowhere near Wolverhampton sadly.

bless him:love:

not sure how far into his journey to wolves he was but i'm not far from there so can take him supplies if needed? xxx

I've just told him your comments and his head is now even bigger than normal lol, so thanks for that :lol:

As for the babybun, he'she now has a water bowl, a water bottle and some excel forage over the sawdust - although he said he's not eaten or drunk any of it yet, he's just sitting in the corner looking frightened :(

the good thing is that he's on his way back up here now and the satnav says he'll be home for half 3 so he's going to leave it in the kitchen, which is nice and cool (it's quite nippy up here today) and I think the peace and quiet will do the little one good.

We just need to go the P@H tonight in Wakey and get some junior nuggets - presuming that is ok for me to give? or am i better sticking with a hay only diet for now?

Can't wait to get gome tonight and meet our new little arrival :D Just as well my mum went home yesterday from her visit, she'll kill us for getting another rabbit - think it will have to be a secret for the time being :oops:

I will of course post piccies, they might be a little dingy as don't want to use a flash and frighten it - hmm can't keep calling it 'it' but don't know if its a boy or girl - might just call it Enrique :p as a temporary measure!

Enriques now at home in the kitchen, my OH's had to go back to work but he's popped back in to check on him and he's sitting in the box still.

he's got to come and pick me up as my car in the garage but when we both get home I'm going to set up the indoor cage and get him properly settled in.

Will report back later

We brought our bun home at 8 weeks and he was already on a diet of excel junior nuggets 2x a day and unlimited hay. Hope he/she is settling in:wave:

Aw. Your OH is so good.

With regards to the pellets, what food was s/he on before? If you don't know then excel junior is fine but don't just provide unlimited, you need to introduce it very slowly, as you would with any new food. I'd also suggest offering a snugglesafe for the kit and a cuddly toy too if you can.

Back