• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anybody use..

Sawdust isn't recommended as its usually very dusty and gives them the snuffles/runny nose. It can also be dangerous if they eat it and cause bloat and other gut problems!

Hay is necessary for eating and can be used as bedding, so in my opinion i'd just use that over straw.

Sawdust isn't recommended as its usually very dusty and gives them the snuffles/runny nose. It can also be dangerous if they eat it and cause bloat and other gut problems!

Hay is necessary for eating and can be used as bedding, so in my opinion i'd just use that over straw.

Well, Penelope has been on sawdust since she was born, and that is what the breeder recommended. When I changed it to hay/straw, she had a paddy and would not go into her cage at all. I use dust-extracted sawdust, and she knows not to eat it.
I was just wondering if anybody noticed any problems from using sawdust. As I've had none so far with Penelope, but I guess it's good to know these things.

Well, Penelope has been on sawdust since she was born, and that is what the breeder recommended. When I changed it to hay/straw, she had a paddy and would not go into her cage at all. I use dust-extracted sawdust, and she knows not to eat it.
I was just wondering if anybody noticed any problems from using sawdust. As I've had none so far with Penelope, but I guess it's good to know these things.

Breeders knowledge is never normally that great as a rule of thumb. There is a lot of evidence suggesting sawdust can cause illness in rabbits. She may be fine for now but she would likely thrive if you were to put hay in her cage instead, it's necessary for her teeth to stay healthy so you may as well use it instead of sawdust, just encase :)

I use it (woodshavings that is, not sawdust) for my hamsters, and have done for many years. I find it too messy for rabbits and guinea pigs.

There are lots of useful threads on here outlining the dangers of sawdust :)

A lot of us use aubiose or megazorb instead.

I used to use sawdust, but instead of doing a sudden changeover I gradually reduced the amount I used until it was just in the litter trays rather than covering the floors. Then I started mixing in megazorb in the litter trays, and gradually changing to just that and no sawdust.

I use Aubiose for the trays now as I prefer the fresher smell :)

What are the dangers though - that she might eat it? As she doesn't as she doesn't like the taste, I've seen her spit it out!
The thing is, Penelope spends 80% of her time out of her cage, and plays in my (in her head her's ! :lol:) living room, as she loves to sit on the carpet or on 'her' little wooden shelf. The only time she goes in her cage is to eat/drink/poop and at night when she has to go to bed, and the cage keeps her safe as she likes to jump EVERYWHERE so it's not safe to leave her out when I'm in bed!
Its just an interest, as I don't know if some people here are being over-sensitive about sawdust, or they keep their buns in thier cages/hutches for most of the time. But my vet uses sawdust in the cages, so how bad can it be?? :?

What are the dangers though - that she might eat it? As she doesn't as she doesn't like the taste, I've seen her spit it out!
The thing is, Penelope spends 80% of her time out of her cage, and plays in my (in her head her's ! :lol:) living room, as she loves to sit on the carpet or on 'her' little wooden shelf. The only time she goes in her cage is to eat/drink/poop and at night when she has to go to bed, and the cage keeps her safe as she likes to jump EVERYWHERE so it's not safe to leave her out when I'm in bed!
Its just an interest, as I don't know if some people here are being over-sensitive about sawdust, or they keep their buns in thier cages/hutches for most of the time. But my vet uses sawdust in the cages, so how bad can it be?? :?

Sounds like you don't really want to hear any different. At the end of the day, if you wish to use shavings, use them. By saying sawdust, do you mean shavings, like these? (Please note, this was put in by the woman I adopted them from, a photo taken on the way home, I don't actually use them).

Jura by Niseag, on Flickr

Shavings are much better than actual sawDUST, but still, there are better options, if you can get hold of them.

The reason people recommend against shavings is when they are weed on, they release toxins, harmful to small animals.

Is she a house bun? Is she litter trained? If yes then you could just try carpet off cuts in the base of the cage instead, thats all i use :)

Sounds like you don't really want to hear any different. At the end of the day, if you wish to use shavings, use them. By saying sawdust, do you mean shavings, like these? (Please note, this was put in by the woman I adopted them from, a photo taken on the way home, I don't actually use them).

Jura by Niseag, on Flickr

Shavings are much better than actual sawDUST, but still, there are better options, if you can get hold of them.

The reason people recommend against shavings is when they are weed on, they release toxins, harmful to small animals.

Well aren't you assuming that you know what I want to hear?

I simply asked as a question as I've noticed that alot of people use lots of different things in cages/hutches and I wondered why and if its a desparate need to change the sawdust.
If they release such bad toxins, why are they not warnings on the bag?

This is what I use in Penelopes cage:

Penelope 15 by Fliss_Penelope, on Flickr

Look, no offense to anybody here, but some people can get really preachy about rabbit care/rabbit health, when in actual fact a simple question is being asked.
I only joined to read various posts about advice on rabbits, and at the end of the day it is just opinions from people, as each rabbit and carer is different.
However, all it ever seems to me when reading, is that some people think they are correct and they could be wrong.

I've been here a week so far, and have not felt welcomed at all. All I wanted was a place where I could chat about my little bun and share pictures of her and be with friends who had a similar outlook. But it isn't turning out that way and that is really sad, as considering we all share a love of rabbits, shouldn't we be nice and caring to each other and help each other out rather then coming across as 'my word is law and right'. As to be fair, we are not rabbits. So really, how do we actually know what they are thinking, we mostly just guess from the behaviour.

*shrugs*

I've been here a week so far, and have not felt welcomed at all. All I wanted was a place where I could chat about my little bun and share pictures of her and be with friends who had a similar outlook. But it isn't turning out that way and that is really sad, as considering we all share a love of rabbits, shouldn't we be nice and caring to each other and help each other out rather then coming across as 'my word is law and right'.

People ALWAYS say this when they've asked a question and not got the response they wanted.

I used to use woodshavings/sawdust, and my now five year old rabbit suffers with awful breathing problems. Since changing to lino and fleece, he's come on in leaps and bounds, so much so that I recently was able to have him neutered with no concerns over the general anaesthetic.

You asked whether people use woodshavings/sawdust, and we have said no, and outlined the dangers. It is your choice whether you want to use that information to protect your rabbit from what could be horrible problems in the future.:wave:

Look, no offense to anybody here, but some people can get really preachy about rabbit care/rabbit health, when in actual fact a simple question is being asked.
I only joined to read various posts about advice on rabbits, and at the end of the day it is just opinions from people, as each rabbit and carer is different.
However, all it ever seems to me when reading, is that some people think they are correct and they could be wrong.

I've been here a week so far, and have not felt welcomed at all. All I wanted was a place where I could chat about my little bun and share pictures of her and be with friends who had a similar outlook. But it isn't turning out that way and that is really sad, as considering we all share a love of rabbits, shouldn't we be nice and caring to each other and help each other out rather then coming across as 'my word is law and right'. As to be fair, we are not rabbits. So really, how do we actually know what they are thinking, we mostly just guess from the behaviour.

*shrugs*

I don't think anyone has been particularly preachy, you asked if sawdust was okay I just posted what I had heard, then found an article for you on why it isn't healthy for rabbits.

What instance of people thinking they are correct when they have been wrong instance are you referring to?

Of course it is great to be part of a like minded community and i'm sorry that you havn't felt welcomed so far, but I hope you stick around. I did and I found my second bun here and have learnt a lot about rabbit care. :)

Sawdust is one of those things that has been used for years and years and people think its perfectly fine, whereas in reality there are much better alternatives for your bun, I was only trying to help. :)

Because then they wouldn't sell any? :? Same with fluffy bedding for hamsters, it's very dangerous but they instead state that it's completely safe!

This isn't allowed in accordance with trading standard law, if there are dangers in animal care bedding/food/toys, then it HAS to be written onto the packaging, if it is going to cause harm.
If the hamster bedding is actually dangerous and they say it's fine, you need to report the company, as it is false advertising, and they can be sued if they cause a death without pointing out the dangers.

I work in merchandising and know most things about trading standard guidelines. If you are sure of the danger, report. That way they have to stop selling the product while they carry out research to ensure it is safe, or write the dangers on the label. :)

People ALWAYS say this when they've asked a question and not got the response they wanted.

I used to use woodshavings/sawdust, and my now five year old rabbit suffers with awful breathing problems. Since changing to lino and fleece, he's come on in leaps and bounds, so much so that I recently was able to have him neutered with no concerns over the general anaesthetic.

You asked whether people use woodshavings/sawdust, and we have said no, and outlined the dangers. It is your choice whether you want to use that information to protect your rabbit from what could be horrible problems in the future.:wave:

Do you not think that is an unfair statement to make Chloe? How do you know what response I wanted? I never asked if I should change it, I asked if people used it.
The replies I got following were basically telling me to change it or I'm creating danger for Penelope. I did not ask for that advice, people just assumed to tell me what I should do for MY rabbit. I just wanted to know why people choose to use whatever they do.
And if that is not what I expected, then fair enough, how am I to know what people would write?! That does not change the fact that I have felt unwelcomed and I think it is really unfair of you to group me into that category.

In regards to your rabbit problems, I'm sorry your rabbit had breathing trouble. But you don't know that the sawdust is the same, you're just assuming all sawdust is bad because of your trouble, penelope spends more time out of her cage then in.
During her last visint to the vet (which was Thursday), she checked her breathing, her teeth and her weight. All are fine and she said Penelope seems like a very happy bunny.
If that is the case I can't be doing too badly with her.

This isn't allowed in accordance with trading standard law, if there are dangers in animal care bedding/food/toys, then it HAS to be written onto the packaging, if it is going to cause harm.
If the hamster bedding is actually dangerous and they say it's fine, you need to report the company, as it is false advertising, and they can be sued if they cause a death without pointing out the dangers.

I work in merchandising and know most things about trading standard guidelines. If you are sure of the danger, report. That way they have to stop selling the product while they carry out research to ensure it is safe, or write the dangers on the label. :)

It's been reported before by people on a hamster forum- nothing has been done even though it has caused deaths and serious injuries :shock:

I used to use woodshavings. Had no problems at the time, but decided not to risk it anymore. I use newspaper and hay in the trays now and it stays fresher, and the bunnys like it better.

Also, there's plently of things on the pet market that cause a danger to animals. A lot of the "rabbit treats" can cause stasis and bloat for a start. The wire wheels you buy can easily get little hamster feet caught in them, hamster wheels are too small and cause back problems, the list honestly goes on.
You have to do the research and do what you believe is best for your own pet, because the companies who produce this stuff only want the profit

I kept all previous rabbits on shop bought sawdust and didn't have any problems with it.

My Dad was a carpenter and used to bring home sawdust from a variety of woods which we also used.

I only changed when reading that it could cause problems, didn't want to take any unecessary risk.

Do you not think that is an unfair statement to make Chloe? How do you know what response I wanted? I never asked if I should change it, I asked if people used it.
The replies I got following were basically telling me to change it or I'm creating danger for Penelope. I did not ask for that advice, people just assumed to tell me what I should do for MY rabbit. I just wanted to know why people choose to use whatever they do.
And if that is not what I expected, then fair enough, how am I to know what people would write?! That does not change the fact that I have felt unwelcomed and I think it is really unfair of you to group me into that category.

In regards to your rabbit problems, I'm sorry your rabbit had breathing trouble. But you don't know that the sawdust is the same, you're just assuming all sawdust is bad because of your trouble, penelope spends more time out of her cage then in.
During her last visint to the vet (which was Thursday), she checked her breathing, her teeth and her weight. All are fine and she said Penelope seems like a very happy bunny.
If that is the case I can't be doing too badly with her.

I don't think it's unfair, because it happens over and over and over again with so many new members. In fact I even thought it myself when I joined, but you just have to realise that people are only trying to help and it's your choice whether you make the right or wrong decision in regards to advice.

My Benji spends all day out in his run and only the night times in his hutch, but a few years of sawdust have damaged him forever. It has happened to hundreds of rabbits, not just mine, so I'm not just assuming something about sawdust from my own experiences. Contrary to what you may think.

Just because Penelope is fine now, does not mean she will be forever, as I'm sure you know. I'll back out of the thread now:wave:

Back