• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Rabbits Wedding

JAZZ

New Kit
Heyy I want to adopt a female companion for my Male rabbit. I want to adopt one and would love any suggestions from where i could adopt a female rabbit. I have looked at the website "Rehome Rabbit' and most of the rabbits are from rescure centres not around London. Could you suggest any please. My Rabbit needs a Wifeyyy ;)

Hi, welcome to this forum
There are loads of people here with many suggestions.
You could look around your area for rabbit rescues one being Greenwich Rabbit Rescue or the RSPCA.
A neutered male and female couple would be best, is your rabbit neutered?;)

Hi:wave:
It's really great your looking to get your bunny a companion and even more so your looking into rescuing!:thumb::D
There are quite a few rescues around London, which part of London are you in?:)

Thanks for the replies... No my Rabbit is not neutered yet but I would consider taking in AN ALREADY NEUTERED MALE OR FEMALE RABBIT! I live in West London!

As a first step, I would get your little lad neutered. It won't be safe to bond him with another rabbit even if the other one is already neutered. Your bun will still have his hormonal, territorial instincts and he will therefore still want to hump and fight and could get his 'bits' bitten very seriously. It is usually recommended to wait several weeks after neutering before bonding so that he has a chance to recover from the op and settle down.

There are loads of rescues around London who might be able to help and who may even be able to start/do the bonding for you :) Here's a list (not comprehensive) to help you get started :)

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

welcome to the forum its great that you want to do this ^_^

I was kinda worried at first I thought this thread was going to be about you wanting to do a proper wedding for your buns >_< lol

Omg do they bite each other's "bits"?? Oh my that is kinda cruel I thought Rabbits were sweet:roll: anyways thank you for the welcome messages...no i am not gonna actually marry them. However that sounds kinda funny a "Bunny Wedding" then I can like invite loads of bunnies to Snuggles(my rabbit) wedding they would run around in the garden lool...m gonna talk through the option of neutering Snuggles but I am really scared because I don't feel its right to chop his balls off because he is quite sweet and calm and never bites or acts aggressively.

Welcome to the forum :)

Omg do they bite each other's "bits"?? Oh my that is kinda cruel I thought Rabbits were sweet:roll: anyways thank you for the welcome messages...no i am not gonna actually marry them. However that sounds kinda funny a "Bunny Wedding" then I can like invite loads of bunnies to Snuggles(my rabbit) wedding they would run around in the garden lool...m gonna talk through the option of neutering Snuggles but I am really scared because I don't feel its right to chop his balls off because he is quite sweet and calm and never bites or acts aggressively.

Its a good idea to talk it through and discuss whether you want to do it.

Also, to what others have said, it completely eradicates the isk of testicular cancer.

In addition to that, chances are, if another rabbit was around he would start to act hormonal and that would cause problems for him, alone, or with someone, because he will be driven by hormones, and not allowed to be himself.

How old is he?

Here are the advantages of neutering :]
-The rabbit is prevented to get pregnant for a female and not getting a female pregnant for a male, there are already toooo many bunnies in the world that need rescuing, people shouldn't breed for the fun of it and add to the number.
-Can prevent testicular cancer in males and uterine cancer in females.
-Reduces aggression, if not neutered your rabbit could be cage aggressive and territorial, spraying urine is an example of territorial behaviour :]

After neutering a rabbit you will have less things to worry about and both you and your bun will live happily :]

:wave:
P.s. I know Jazz, she's my friend in real life. Hey JAzz ! :lol:

Heyyy guys thanks a lot for the replies and yes Thank You Whitehood for introducing me to this site ;) I am now considering of getting my Rabbit neutered or leaving him the way he is and not get him another Rabbit... hmm not sure atm...neutering seems to be the problem here because it just sounds really scary :cry:

Heyyy guys thanks a lot for the replies and yes Thank You Whitehood for introducing me to this site ;) I am now considering of getting my Rabbit neutered or leaving him the way he is and not get him another Rabbit... hmm not sure atm...neutering seems to be the problem here because it just sounds really scary :cry:

Rabbits would prefer to live with another rabbit(s), this is how they live in the wild :]
And neutering has so many advantages, as stated above.

i know i really want him to have a companion and have currently spoken to the RSPCA who are ready to give me a neutered female but on the condition that I buy a bigger hutch my hutch is currently 2 by 3 foot and they want it to be at least 2 by 4 foot so I am now thinking of building another storey to my hutch to make it bigger!! and if my rabbit humps her too much then I will get him neutered and they agreed to that. Let's see how it goes I will keep you posted.

Another vote for the Mayhew Centre here! There aren't really that many rescues in London. The Mayhew rabbit section was closed last summer when I was looking so I ended up having to go to Essex to get Sergeant & Pepper, which was not easy on public transport!

I visited the Mayhew a couple of weeks ago and they are lovely. I'm raising money for them at the moment by running the London Marathon this Sunday (sponsorship page below, plug plug!).

i know i really want him to have a companion and have currently spoken to the RSPCA who are ready to give me a neutered female but on the condition that I buy a bigger hutch my hutch is currently 2 by 3 foot and they want it to be at least 2 by 4 foot so I am now thinking of building another storey to my hutch to make it bigger!! and if my rabbit humps her too much then I will get him neutered and they agreed to that. Let's see how it goes I will keep you posted.

I'm afraid that if you leave him unneutered they will most likely not bond, or if they do it will break down and you will be left with 2 single bunnies, who may not rebond again after their experience with each other. The problem is your bunny will want to hump the other one, and will bite her and maybe attack if she doesnt submit - it will be very very stressful for her.

Also, the RWAF reccommends a MINIMUM of 6x2 hutch with an attached run, so it will be better and cheaper to get a completely new hutch, than upgrade now and find out you need to upgrade again soon. We can help you find a suitable one if you like, and help you find a good company that will make hutches that will last many years (unlike many petshop ones). Here you are, a link to the RWAF website on it http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

I know its scary to get him neutered, but the risk to him is very very low. It is LESS than 1%. Whilst he is under anesthetic it also gives the vets a chance to look at his teeth properly, which is important to know whether he will need dentals in the future (dental problems are very painful if left unnoticed).

The reason I decided to get my bunny neutered is because I know that, given the choice, I would rather go through a low-risk operation and get a friend, than live forever lonely with noone that speaks my own language.

On my website (link in my sig under 'Flash's Place') has a secion called 'Rabbit Info Articles'. It might be worth having a read through it all. It holds information about the best size accomodation that rabbit's need, about spaying and neutering, and bonding and bonded friends and you'll likely find it really useful.

Its the information that I give out to prospective adopters from the RSPCA Branch that I volunteer at (where I am 'the rabbit lady' :lol:).

We can all do things to improve the lives of our bunnies, and when we do, its amazing and rewarding, so I hope you find some ways to improve your bunnies live so you and he can get that feeling.

Back