• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've bought a shed to put my rabbits outside...

mattyp

Warren Veteran
It's a 7 x 5 shed so they will have plenty of room and it arrives on Wednesday.

But i'm worried that i'm going to miss their 'indoor' company. What if they get angry at me for putting them outside?

Has anyone ever moved their buns from indoor to outdoor and was the transition easy?

Am hoping to built them a little bunny paradise though 8)

I have done it many a time. I tend to keep my healthy bunnies outside in my shed, and its great because it protects them from the weather elements, and me from the weather eliments, meaning i enjoy spending time with them without getting rained on.

I do miss house bunnies, but the two bunnies that lived permanently in the house were both very friendly and rather disabled, so they needed to be indoors. They were also single. My healthy bunnies (well healthy to an extent, i do have a blind bunny and a 3 legged bunny outdoors) enjoy being in the shed. Some bunnies are happier outside rather than inside and it means they can make as much mess as they like :lol:.

Oose has just moved outside, and she is a much happier bunny.

Good luck with the move, i would invest in a stool for you to sit on in the shed, you can spend hours just watching them :lol:

Whe Tinkerbell and Simba were bonded he hated it in the house so Tinkerbell went and lived outside with him. She was fine.
When he died, she became a houserabbit again, and was again fine.

i did it about 3 years ago with mine. i must admit i think i missed them more than they missed me! :?
the move was easy, they were so excited with exploring and having something 'new' they never gave me a seconds thought.

they love being outside (i have a run attatched to the shed) and do seem happier than they did indoors. and as shazzabunny says it is good to go and sit out there with them. i sat in there for a couple of hours yesterday reading while they used me as a climbing frame!

i'm sure yours will be fine. :)

Lilly was indoors then when Carlise came along he was in the shed (not to be sniffed at since its 10x10 ft with an attached greenhouse which is about 4x6 ft) They didn't have the conventional bonding as he is so nervy and she is so loving and outgoing. They were love at first sight and they dated in the garden spending their time together then she would come back inside on a night time (her choice she hopped in and out of the house as she pleased) Then one night she just stayed in the shed and didn't wan't to come back in the house. She moved in :lol: I was gutted felt like my baby had left home :oops: She is so happy and loves being in the garden there is no way I could bring her indoors now.

Its deffinately us humans that suffer when they move out not the other way round :oops:

Lilly was indoors then when Carlise came along he was in the shed (not to be sniffed at since its 10x10 ft with an attached greenhouse which is about 4x6 ft) They didn't have the conventional bonding as he is so nervy and she is so loving and outgoing. They were love at first sight and they dated in the garden spending their time together then she would come back inside on a night time (her choice she hopped in and out of the house as she pleased) Then one night she just stayed in the shed and didn't wan't to come back in the house. She moved in :lol: I was gutted felt like my baby had left home :oops: She is so happy and loves being in the garden there is no way I could bring her indoors now.

Its deffinately us humans that suffer when they move out not the other way round :oops:

Aw bless em! Love at first sight.

I'm also worried that my two wont be able to have any 'alone' time when they're in the shed. At the minute if Maisie gets fed up of Marvin's company she will squeeze through the baby gate and flop out upstairs for an hour or so (Marvin is too big to get through the baby gate now).

Am I increasing the chances of them falling out if they are always in each others company knowing that they both enjoy their independence every now and again? :?

I'm also worried that my two wont be able to have any 'alone' time when they're in the shed. At the minute if Maisie gets fed up of Marvin's company she will squeeze through the baby gate and flop out upstairs for an hour or so (Marvin is too big to get through the baby gate now).

Am I increasing the chances of them falling out if they are always in each others company knowing that they both enjoy their independence every now and again? :?

I dont think so, put in some shelves and she can always sit somewhere different to him!

:

To be honest with you out of the way they will probably form a stronger bond. Carlisle and Lilly are so snuggly they are really sickening :lol: That said Lilly is more outgoing and will dash about in the shed and run doing huge binkies while Carlise suns himself in their "conservatory" she just leaps over him :lol: As long as they have enough space they can still do their own thing.

Dizzi and Rascal absolutely love it outside, when they're out they're much more active and its like Binky-ville UK in their gaff!! :lol:

I have no doubt that when they go back outdoors (just making a few alterations to the hutch and aviary and waiting for weather to warm up a bit) they won't give me a second thought .... but they'll be happier. :love:

They just take themselves off into a corner if they've had enough of the other one .... also they have a couple of bolt holes as well as their hutch and have 24 access to the aviary so they can usually find somewhere to chill out on their own.

And its great to be able to go out to visit the buns and just get some chill out time yerself!

Dizzi and Rascal absolutely love it outside, when they're out they're much more active and its like Binky-ville UK in their gaff!! :lol:

I have no doubt that when they go back outdoors (just making a few alterations to the hutch and aviary and waiting for weather to warm up a bit) they won't give me a second thought .... but they'll be happier. :love:

They just take themselves off into a corner if they've had enough of the other one .... also they have a couple of bolt holes as well as their hutch and have 24 access to the aviary so they can usually find somewhere to chill out on their own.

And its great to be able to go out to visit the buns and just get some chill out time yerself!

I certainly hope so! I am also hoping to install a catflap into a 6 x 4 outside run so they can play outside during the day.

I am certainly not going to miss replacing the cables in my house and the teef marks in my table and chairs...:lol:

Am wondering if they'll be okay in the winter though?

They'll be fine in the winter as long as you provide them with loads of bedding, you could supply them with a vet bed, and insulate your shed :]

My four looked beautiful in the winter with their amazing fur coats. They were so sleek and healthy and Carlisle snuffles cleared right up. Touch wood he's been free of snuffles for a good 7-8 months now :D My lot really seemed to thrive in the colder weather. Soon enough their gorgeous coats will moult and they'll be scruffy tufty bums again :roll:

They'll be fine in the winter as long as you provide them with loads of bedding, you could supply them with a vet bed, and insulate your shed :]

Am planning on insulating the shed as well so they should be okay. Maisie is a massive fluff ball so i'm sure she'd be fine! :lol:

I actually worry more about my buns in the hot weather than the cold. They seem to adapt very well to the cold, grow lovely thick coats and as long as they have plenty of bedding and you check water bottles regularly they should be fine. I find summer more of an issue, yesterday my lot looked totally wiped out with the heat, so make sure they have plenty of shade and water. Damp towels hung on the run and frozen bottles are also good. I just bought another 3 icepods for my lot.

I would miss Beau sooooooooo much if he went outside, I couldn't even consider it, how selfish am I :oops: though he is a single bun, so he'd miss me too :love:

I just did the same thing...

It's made me really sad at times but they LOVE all the extra space they have at the moment. They have an extra level, plant pots, a hidey hole and I'm not finished yet.

I do miss them :( But every time I go out, I get greeted by a herd of bunnies at the door to say hello :D I don't get as many cuddles as I used to... but I'm ok with that as they seem so much happier :D

I just did the same thing...

It's made me really sad at times but they LOVE all the extra space they have at the moment. They have an extra level, plant pots, a hidey hole and I'm not finished yet.

I do miss them :( But every time I go out, I get greeted by a herd of bunnies at the door to say hello :D I don't get as many cuddles as I used to... but I'm ok with that as they seem so much happier :D

Aw i'll miss Marvin's attention :lol: I'm sure they'll be happier and that's the main thing at the end of the day.

Now i'm worried about the heat though, I imagine sheds must get pretty hot in summer :?

Aw i'll miss Marvin's attention :lol: I'm sure they'll be happier and that's the main thing at the end of the day.

Now i'm worried about the heat though, I imagine sheds must get pretty hot in summer :?

Our Shed has windows the height of me and they are about 4 foot wide. We're boarding them up next month as it hits summer properly but for now, they have a large carrier in the shade. I also go out and open the door a lot to give them fresh air.

Long term plan is to add a new door which can open at the top and have a wire mesh panel behind it. That means that the door can be open, lots of fresh air can get in and no predators will be able to get them :D

Now i'm worried about the heat though, I imagine sheds must get pretty hot in summer

Sorry didn't mean to worry you.

If you are attaching a run that should be fine as buns will have access to fresh air if they chose.

Back