• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What will I need...?

Wondergirl

Alpha Buck
As some of you may know, Im going to try and book my two mini lop does in for their spay whilst Im off work for the next two weeks. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what things I might need to buy for their post op care?

On my list I already have:

vetbed
veggies
towels for bedding
medication from vets

If you can think of anything else I might need, please tell me! :)

Heat source (like a snugglesafe).

I also prefer fleece to towel because it doesn't shed.

I also tend to get in stuff that I can add to water to make it taste yummier to try and tempt them to drink (such as rabbit safe infusions like peppermint infusions, chamomile infusions). I would also suggest a varety of hays and a bunny buffet- just make sure its stuff you know they can eat.

Yes, definitely Metacam and also maybe some probiotic too.

I have an article on my website about before, during and after a spay/neuter so it might be worth reading that too :)

I've just ordered lots of fleecy blankets from
eBay :)
By infusions do you mean just a normal twinings one? I didn't know bunnies could have them :) I've got some treat hay for them already :)
Can I still use hay in their litter tray?

Heat source (like a snugglesafe).

I also prefer fleece to towel because it doesn't shed.

I also tend to get in stuff that I can add to water to make it taste yummier to try and tempt them to drink (such as rabbit safe infusions like peppermint infusions, chamomile infusions). I would also suggest a varety of hays and a bunny buffet- just make sure its stuff you know they can eat.

Yes, definitely Metacam and also maybe some probiotic too.

I have an article on my website about before, during and after a spay/neuter so it might be worth reading that too :)

Yeh, Twinings are fine as long as the ingredients are safe for rabbits.

People say different things regarding hay. Personally I tend to provide a variety of floorings and let them choose, including hay in their litter tray. Generally speaking this is where they tend to retreat to, although some do make use of cushions and fleeces and suchlike.

For the first few days I put puppy pads on the floor and in the littertray and put the hay in a hanging basket next to the littertray.

What do I need to take to the vets with me?
Will they do the pre op assessment on the same day or do I have to book that first?

What do I need to take to the vets with me?
Will they do the pre op assessment on the same day or do I have to book that first?

At my vets they do the pre-op assessment on the day. You drop them off at 8, stay with them through their assessment, and then pick them up after their op at about five. In general, that seems to be how it goes.

To the vets, I took a big sandwich box of the bunnies favourite foods, and a bag of hay to get them eating again after the op. In the carrier I had a towel that smelt like their hutches so they felt a little more secure:)

Oh Chloe it's such a scary time. My poor little girls. I know it will be for the best health wise though.
I've just bought a large dog crate so I can keep them in the house post op. I've also bought vetbed, and a few fleecy blankets to bed them down on.
What did you do post op? Were you'd bunnies ok?

Oh Chloe it's such a scary time. My poor little girls. I know it will be for the best health wise though.
I've just bought a large dog crate so I can keep them in the house post op. I've also bought vetbed, and a few fleecy blankets to bed them down on.
What did you do post op? Were you'd bunnies ok?

I know it's scary, I was in bits when two of mine were done and Cupcake is going for her spay on wednesday too, so I know what you're feeling.

The crate and bedding sound perfect:)

Post-op I Just kept Nahla in a small place so she didn't damage her stitches. I gave her lots and lots of choice of food, and for the most part just left her be. She was very quiet, and it took her a day or so to start eating normally again, but she was and is absolutely fine:) She also ripped out all her stitches:roll: But she's had two trips to the vets since for check ups and her wound has healed beautifully, no lasting damage:)

They will be fine!:)

Back