• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buckley sneezed :|

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
he sneezed twice after coming out of his cage for the first time... he used the xbox as a step... I don't think there's any discharge, could it just be a dusty xbox?

I'm figuratively bricking myself :|

(bump) seriously, bricking myself. I'm gonna book him in for his myx vacc, should i take him to the vet tomorrow morning?

I dont think you need to panic, I'm guessing he has no other symptoms? it could be anything. Just mention it when you take him for his vaccination.

p.s they will do a basic health check before vaccination anyway.

I dont think you need to panic, I'm guessing he has no other symptoms? it could be anything. Just mention it when you take him for his vaccination.

p.s they will do a basic health check before vaccination anyway.

Not that I know of, I think he did his first mini-binky earlier. He looked like he was trying to turn 180 degrees in super quick time...

He's done it again, twice when I just went up to check on him. The first time with his face in his (as yet ignored) litterbox (he prefers to toilet around the litter tray), the second after he had a drink from his bowl :(

No discharge that I can see, I just don't know what could be causing it.

I'm going to call the vets tomorrow, see if I can get him in for his myx jab. Is it too soon to get his myx jab? He's 9 weeks/ nearly 10 weeks old and we got him on Friday...

Dont know about the vaccinations sorry, but I THINK it is allowed, as you can start to get boys neutered from 12 weeks old (when the balls drop) and I know most are vaccinated before neutering. You'll have to ask the receptionist when you call up.

I only have very limited knowledge of illnesses sorry :( but from the what I've researched before... best case scenario: his environment is a bit dusty for him/ its a coincidence, worst case scenario: could be an early sign of snuffles.

Most buns carry pasturella but dont have any symptoms, but a few will later develop symptoms, often when they are run down, and it develops into snuffles. Dont panic though as you dont know enough yet. If it is snuffles some bunnies have it very mildly, like my bun who has runny eyes, he had a chest infection and I have only seen him sneeze occasionally - he isnt bothered by it. What is generally classed as 'snuffles' can also be caused by different bacteria or a virus.

I would hoover the room and clean out the cage (bearing in mind this will stir up the dust for a while during) and see how he is a few hours after with less dust. I would get the vet to check his chest and breathing when you take him for his vacc too.

He's old enough to be vaccinated but make sure the vet gives him a though look over as you don't want to vaccinate him if he's not 100%.

Is the hay overly dusty? What other bedding do you use? Any air fresheners in the room which could be irritating him?

He's old enough to be vaccinated but make sure the vet gives him a though look over as you don't want to vaccinate him if he's not 100%.

Is the hay overly dusty? What other bedding do you use? Any air fresheners in the room which could be irritating him?

We use wood shavings but I'm going to use just hay next time I do it. I want him to have a matt/ blanket but he isn't litter trained yet (he actually sulked when I put it in his cage and peed around it) and he chews everything :shock:

I went in to check on him this morning and he's eaten all of his hay from the hay rack and drunk most of the water in his bowl.

I'll give the vet a call in a bit just to be on the safe side. :)

Woodshavings are notorious for causing sneezing and respitory probs so I'd probably take them out and see if that helps.

A vet check is a good idea if you are worried though.

I have two young brothers who sneezed continously when I first got them but after consulting with a vet we kept a close eye on it, most buns carry pastrella but it can manifest in times of stress, after they settled it it went away of its own accord.

However, I also have a bunny whos been on meds for a respitory infection over 6 months so i know first hand how complicated these things can be so its always worth checking with a vet if you are worried.

Try not to panic just yet though.

Back