• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plants for pots that rabbits can eat?

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
We have a few spare pots in the garden so I wanna grow something this year.

So I need some plants that are all of these:

-Full edible, flowers, leaves and all
-Able to survive in pots, they're med sized
-Easy to look after
-Somewhat pretty

Help me RU :wave:

I'm already growing basil for them indoors, just fancy somet nice that they can nibble on.
Could try marigolds, are they all safe? I dunno if there's different types of it or anything.
I'm not used to gardening :lol:

Yes and it's pretty much the only plant that survives my bunny trio onslaught in the garden :lol:

Brilliant, think I'll get lavander! Is there only one type of lavander and if there's more than one are they all safe? :oops:

What about dandelions, the hay experts sell them and a few other varieties of weeds. Bunnies love them.

google Shelled Warriors and select the shop - although it's a tortoise site, there's loads of seeds suitable for bunnies :D

I'm already growing basil for them indoors, just fancy somet nice that they can nibble on.
Could try marigolds, are they all safe? I dunno if there's different types of it or anything.
I'm not used to gardening :lol:

Only 'pot marigolds' or 'english marigolds' NOT french marigolds :D

Nasturtiums - not sure how easy they are to grow but I've just planted some seeds. If mine grow, then anybody can do it. :lol::lol:

Geraniums and pansies are safe (I haven't let the bunnies near the geraniums but the pansies didn't last 5 minutes :roll: so probably not the best idea). :lol:

Lavender is good (for me anyway) as the bunnies don't like it much and just have the occasional nibble.

There is shelled warriors and rabbitnutrition.co.uk (the second is also a member here) and both have lots of seeds. :thumb:

I also recommend lavender - although the posh French Lavenders WON'T last a cold winter, they'd need to be brought indoors - mine copped it!

For rose bushes, do they live ok in a plant pot?

Are all varieties ok?

Can the bunnys eat all of it?7

:wave:

For rose bushes, do they live ok in a plant pot?

Are all varieties ok?

Can the bunnys eat all of it?7

:wave:

there are a bazillion types of rose, not all will do that great in a pot, simply as many get very big! I think buns can eat all of it? they certainly like the leaves and flowers! If you're interested in keeping a rose in a pot, find a rose expert! They can be tricky and really attract diseases and parasite bugs to them though, aphid magnets!

there are a bazillion types of rose, not all will do that great in a pot, simply as many get very big! I think buns can eat all of it? they certainly like the leaves and flowers! If you're interested in keeping a rose in a pot, find a rose expert! They can be tricky and really attract diseases and parasite bugs to them though, aphid magnets!

Maybe I'll avoid them then!
Our garden is full of flowers (on raised beds, bunnehs can't reach) and we literally just pick the ones that you plant and then leave. We're not strong on the gardening front :oops:

You can get miniature/patio roses.

I'd definitely go for lavender like others have suggested.

Thyme? Rosemary?

I think violas are safe (dont know if thats all of them though).

Back