PDA

View Full Version : Plants for pots that rabbits can eat?

steph182
10-04-2011, 05:37 PM
We have a few spare pots in the garden so I wanna grow something this year.

So I need some plants that are all of these:

-Full edible, flowers, leaves and all
-Able to survive in pots, they're med sized
-Easy to look after
-Somewhat pretty

Help me RU :wave:

Heather&Bart-MyLittleBuns
10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Different herbs? Mint and Lemonbalm are easy to grow I think. Not 'pretty' though :?

Marigolds are edible and pretty :)

steph182
10-04-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm already growing basil for them indoors, just fancy somet nice that they can nibble on.
Could try marigolds, are they all safe? I dunno if there's different types of it or anything.
I'm not used to gardening :lol:

steph182
10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Other suggestions anyone? :wave:

luvabun
10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Roses (but good luck - they stand no chance :lol:, rosemary, lavender

steph182
10-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Roses (but good luck - they stand no chance :lol:, rosemary, lavender

Are the flowers and everything safe on lavander? I love lavander plants

luvabun
10-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Are the flowers and everything safe on lavander? I love lavander plants

Yes and it's pretty much the only plant that survives my bunny trio onslaught in the garden :lol:

steph182
10-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Yes and it's pretty much the only plant that survives my bunny trio onslaught in the garden :lol:

Brilliant, think I'll get lavander! Is there only one type of lavander and if there's more than one are they all safe? :oops:

Heather&Bart-MyLittleBuns
10-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Brilliant, think I'll get lavander! Is there only one type of lavander and if there's more than one are they all safe? :oops:

I've always assumed that they are all safe :)

lottielouise
10-04-2011, 06:30 PM
mixed salad leaves, they are all different colours and look pretty in pots ( IMO)

janice
10-04-2011, 06:32 PM
What about dandelions, the hay experts sell them and a few other varieties of weeds. Bunnies love them.

steph182
10-04-2011, 06:32 PM
What about dandelions, the hay experts sell them and a few other varieties of weeds. Bunnies love them.

Already have some growing in a pot :)

luvabun
10-04-2011, 06:37 PM
google Shelled Warriors and select the shop - although it's a tortoise site, there's loads of seeds suitable for bunnies :D

Lib_n_bunny
10-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm already growing basil for them indoors, just fancy somet nice that they can nibble on.
Could try marigolds, are they all safe? I dunno if there's different types of it or anything.
I'm not used to gardening :lol:

Only 'pot marigolds' or 'english marigolds' NOT french marigolds :D

KarenM
10-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Nasturtiums - not sure how easy they are to grow but I've just planted some seeds. If mine grow, then anybody can do it. :lol::lol:

Geraniums and pansies are safe (I haven't let the bunnies near the geraniums but the pansies didn't last 5 minutes :roll: so probably not the best idea). :lol:

Lavender is good (for me anyway) as the bunnies don't like it much and just have the occasional nibble.

There is shelled warriors and rabbitnutrition.co.uk (the second is also a member here) and both have lots of seeds. :thumb:

catxx
10-04-2011, 06:54 PM
I also recommend lavender - although the posh French Lavenders WON'T last a cold winter, they'd need to be brought indoors - mine copped it!

steph182
10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
For rose bushes, do they live ok in a plant pot?

Are all varieties ok?

Can the bunnys eat all of it?7

:wave:

catxx
10-04-2011, 06:59 PM
For rose bushes, do they live ok in a plant pot?

Are all varieties ok?

Can the bunnys eat all of it?7

:wave:

there are a bazillion types of rose, not all will do that great in a pot, simply as many get very big! I think buns can eat all of it? they certainly like the leaves and flowers! If you're interested in keeping a rose in a pot, find a rose expert! They can be tricky and really attract diseases and parasite bugs to them though, aphid magnets!

steph182
10-04-2011, 07:02 PM
there are a bazillion types of rose, not all will do that great in a pot, simply as many get very big! I think buns can eat all of it? they certainly like the leaves and flowers! If you're interested in keeping a rose in a pot, find a rose expert! They can be tricky and really attract diseases and parasite bugs to them though, aphid magnets!

Maybe I'll avoid them then!
Our garden is full of flowers (on raised beds, bunnehs can't reach) and we literally just pick the ones that you plant and then leave. We're not strong on the gardening front :oops:

helgalush
10-04-2011, 07:06 PM
You can get miniature/patio roses.

I'd definitely go for lavender like others have suggested.

Thyme? Rosemary?

I think violas are safe (dont know if thats all of them though).

RampantRabbits
10-04-2011, 07:26 PM
I like this thread Steph :D

I would like a couple of plants as i have some plant pots. Id like to grow strawberry and some sort of flower (not weeds).

Im terrifiedd of bees, are there any that arent main attractions for bees? I know mums marigolds and the neighbours lavendar attract loads.

Not trying to hijack here.:wave:

clutterydrawer
10-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Nasturtiums are super easy. Herbs are good too :)

bunny babe
10-04-2011, 08:28 PM
I tend to stick to the herbs as I am a bit like Steph and not sure what to plant. :oops:

I planted a nice rosemary plant (2 for 5 from Tesco) in a tall pot thinking it was out of bunny reach :roll: You've guessed it, Katy decided she could smell it and ate it in 2 sittings.:roll: but they grow back quite quick ;)

Grin
10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
I've planted this in a pot today

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190455793426&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

:)

Grin
10-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I like this thread Steph :D

I would like a couple of plants as i have some plant pots. Id like to grow strawberry and some sort of flower (not weeds).

Im terrifiedd of bees, are there any that arent main attractions for bees? I know mums marigolds and the neighbours lavendar attract loads.

Not trying to hijack here.:wave:

Lemon balm keeps bugs away and i am pretty sure that is safe for buns ???

RampantRabbits
10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Lemon balm keeps bugs away and i am pretty sure that is safe for buns ???

THANK YOU! :love:

:wave: XXX

ETA: Do you know of any plants i can put in the same pot that will brighten it up a bit? Ive just googled a picture, it looks like nettles! :shock:

Grin
10-04-2011, 09:01 PM
THANK YOU! :love:

:wave: XXX

ETA: Do you know of any plants i can put in the same pot that will brighten it up a bit? Ive just googled a picture, it looks like nettles! :shock:

It doesnt look too good but believe me the smell is gorgeous and will make up for it! :lol::lol:

RampantRabbits
10-04-2011, 10:12 PM
It doesnt look too good but believe me the smell is gorgeous and will make up for it! :lol::lol:

:lol: I imagined it would smell nice. Lemony, by any chance? :p

I like your new avitar by the way! :thumb:

Alibunmum
10-04-2011, 10:22 PM
I have just planted a few pots with lavender at the centre and pansies round the outside. It looks fab if I do say so myself. :oops::oops: but the buns can eat it all!!

Pansies are also safe for us to eat if you'd like to brighten up your salads!

Grin
10-04-2011, 10:26 PM
:lol: I imagined it would smell nice. Lemony, by any chance? :p

I like your new avitar by the way! :thumb:

Lemony and minty and balmy all at the same time :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks. :lol:

Elena
11-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Lemon Balm is gorgeous. I love it, the buns love it, win, win. It spreads like crazy though so HAS to be in a pot unless you want your garden swamped.

I'm also growing...

mint, basil, parsley, dill, chamomile, coriander, rosemary, lavender and bunny weeds