• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will neighbours cats hurt my rabbits?

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
My rabbits have always been able to free range in the garden and get daily access to it (supervised access). If I am in the living room then I can see them playing. They are usually out on average about 4-5 hours a day.

However, my neighbours now has three cats which she has just started to let out in the garden and they have been on my fence and today, one of them was on the rabbits hutch (they were inside it). My fear is that I can no longer allow my rabbits to free range in the garden because if her cats come in and hurt them. I am really annoyed by her because she sits in the garden and lets the cat go over the fence and into my garden and she knows I have rabbits.

Do cats generally attack rabbits? I am very concerned. Please help.

My rabbits have always been able to free range in the garden and get daily access to it (supervised access). If I am in the living room then I can see them playing. They are usually out on average about 4-5 hours a day.

However, my neighbours now has three cats which she has just started to let out in the garden and they have been on my fence and today, one of them was on the rabbits hutch (they were inside it). My fear is that I can no longer allow my rabbits to free range in the garden because if her cats come in and hurt them. I am really annoyed by her because she sits in the garden and lets the cat go over the fence and into my garden and she knows I have rabbits.

Do cats generally attack rabbits? I am very concerned. Please help.
I believe yes because they are predatory animals and rabbitd prey, they'll do what comes naturally.

We have 2 cats that come into our garden, and our house when the door is open! They are scared of Louie and have never attempted to go near him!

Most cats leave rabbits alone, especially when they are medium to big sized breeds. But rabbits might still feel scared and threatened, so I would keep a close eye on what's happening in the garden.

I don't think its something you can take a risk with. The cats might be fine and docile and not interested or scared of your bunnies, they may like them, but it might be the opposite, and even if 95% of the time they are one way, it only takes a moment for them to change and act differently from what you would expect.

Our neighbours have cats but they never come over into our garden so I still let mine free range.

I would like to see a cat try and take on Snowdrop though, she is vicious!

Our neighbours have cats but they never come over into our garden so I still let mine free range.

I would like to see a cat try and take on Snowdrop though, she is vicious!

Louie only has to run in the general direction of a cat and they leg it!

My last rabbit was caught humping my cat :roll:

I've usually found cats are a little apprehensive of rabbits but I would definitely keep an eye on them :wave:

The problem with cats..is that a cat bite is full of nasty bacteria, and even if the cat just nips in play the rabbit needs a course of anti biotics straight away
Last year we knew of two rabbit owners who lost a bun due to a small un noticed cat bite..tracking into the bun:cry:
Do as much as possible to discourage the cats..a water super soaker is great to keep to hand..but inform the cat owner first.
Tell them due to the danger to your pets you will soak their cats if they come into your garden..stress you won't hurt them but they may come home wet sometimes..also ask them not to take it personally if you are to be heard shouting at the cats to let them know they are not welcome on your property

Generally they won't, but I would try and discourage cats you don't know as you can't trust them. Even next doors cat could act very differently in your garden than he might in his own.

I know 100% my cat will now hurt my buns, so he can go near them. One other won't hurt them but doesn't like them now so he is allowed near but not within reach, and one cat is locked away from them at all times as she is unpredictable.

Good suggestions. I am always there to watch them. They are never left unattended, even for a moment. I think I might try the water idea. The thing is, the woman knows her cats are going into my garden and she knows that they aren't welcome because she has heard me clapping and saying 'go on' and 'shoo'. She still sits in her garden and just lets them go over my fence. Her house is directly opposite ours. Our gardens face each other. I don't fancy going around her house because she might start getting nasty and our fence is too high for me to talk though it.

I wouldn't be bothered about them coming into my garden if it wasn't the rabbits.

Thanks for your help :)

You could try to put spikes [there are spikes specifically made for cats] on the surface of the fence.
They are like strips which you screw down or stick on the surface of your fence.

Good suggestions. I am always there to watch them. They are never left unattended, even for a moment. I think I might try the water idea. The thing is, the woman knows her cats are going into my garden and she knows that they aren't welcome because she has heard me clapping and saying 'go on' and 'shoo'. She still sits in her garden and just lets them go over my fence. Her house is directly opposite ours. Our gardens face each other. I don't fancy going around her house because she might start getting nasty and our fence is too high for me to talk though it.

I wouldn't be bothered about them coming into my garden if it wasn't the rabbits.

Thanks for your help :)

There's a thread about detering cats in GC.

I wouldnt leave them unattended but from previous experience, my first bun could quite often be found snuggled up to the local neighbourhood stray :lol::lol::lol:

Be wary of starting arguments with neighbours over it because you cant tell a cat where/ where it cant go - the owner will have no control over that and you dont want to have bad neighbour relations because of it. :thumb:

My neighbour told me he saw a cat climb my fence and sat on top of rabbits hutch, cat took a look inside and saw the buns and cleared the 6foot fence in shock! My buns are used to cats climbing on fences and just thump and and cats seem to leg it!!!!!

We had a bunny who was bitten by a cat, and was very poorly. We got him straight to the vets and fortunately he pulled through.

We paid £300 to put the spike strips along the fence, but the cat walked along them!!

We have now spent a huge amount of money building high fencing, putting mesh up and still the cat tries to get in. We were in the garden and this cat was screaching and trying to get over the high fence!

We once heard a racket, years ago, looked out and a cat was sat on top of the run, clawing to try to get in the hutch.

Don't trust cats around your buns.

Yes please beware

My two lovely rabbits came and went from their hutch when they pleased and had fun in the garden free - for two years. A new uneutered Tom cat has recently arrived in the area and tragically this morning I found my wonderful very large fluffy lop eared rabbit dead on the lawn - no marks but fluff everywhere and blood on his mouth (not his own) - I believe the cat has attacked and Elwood has died of a heart attack. whilst I loved him having a lovely free life with his pal my lionhead Jake it has cost him his life and I will probably keep Jake restricted to his hutch from now on unless I am sitting in the garden!!

So please please be careful with your rabbits we are just devastated today :(

Back