• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it alright to let Cutie-pie out for a run - 5 days since spay.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Would be in the house only. The hallway and 2 bedrooms. One step from hallway to back bedroom.

She is breaking her neck to get out. Running around the hutch, even saw her trying to hump Sunshine. I did discourage her.

They are bored senseless. Is is ok to let her out for a few hours. They usually run around then flop under one of the beds, then come in and out as they please.

I would not let her do too much for another couple of days. A hop about a room for a few hours, but no jumping up onto anything xx

Thanks Jane. I will shut the other bedroom door so she can just hop around this bedroom and the hallway. Rooms are quite sparse so nothing she can get into.

Cutie pie may be bored but, she hasn't done any harm to herself.

It is frustrating for you and her but, if anything were go wrong regarding her recovery, I am sure you would feel twice as bad. And perhaps cost more money, and more stress for you and her.

Be patient it will all be worth it. :D:D

Cutie pie may be bored but, she hasn't done any harm to herself.

It is frustrating for you and her but, if anything were go wrong regarding her recovery, I am sure you would feel twice as bad. And perhaps cost more money, and more stress for you and her.

Be patient it will all be worth it. :D:D

Thanks, after what you have said and Jane saying not let her do much, I better leave it.

Always better to be safe then sorry.

Have also caught her a few times at her stitches but can see no damage.

I was really maen to Gizmo when she was spayed recently.

I put her in a cage maybe 1.5 times her length and kept her there for a week until I was sure the wound wouldnt open up. She was going crazy but the only alternative I had was for her to run about and possibly cause herself more harm.
Because she healed on time, she now has free reign in the conservatory.

Being mean in this case is acceptable in my view to prevent her causing herself more pain!!

I'm a really bad Bunny Mummy. With Molly I kept her in a pen in the lounge for 9 days after her op but she didn't just have an ordinary spay and had to be syringe fed for a while afterwards.

With my other buns I've kept them in overnight and then put them back outside the next day:oops: I've kept an eye on them but they have all been fine. I've found if I pen them inside once they feel better they become depressed and stop eating. I must have sensible bunnies as they seem to take it easier anyway - no mad binkies or running around to start with. I think they feel better in familiar surroundings.

Molly was too poorly to go outside for ages - and she didn't want to. I knew when she was feeling better as she started running from one end of the pen to the other. Even now, she isn't running and climbing as much as she used to - she moves much more sedately, bless her little paws.:love:

Back