• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit runs and grass eating/poop questions?

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Over the past few days, the rabbits have been out in the front garden more, so they have access to grass for the first time - usually they go out the back which is concreted. Now i've noticed that they are eating grass for the first time - when i picked it for them, they werent interested but both are fab hay eaters.

Anyway, lately, they are eating more grass and (possibly) less hay. I've cut their fresh veggies down on the days they go out on the grass and i am gradually cutting down on pellets anyway.

Over the last week or so, i've noticed that their poos are getting smaller and darker - even though they are probably producing the same amount, it is different. They are fine in themselves, seem happy, lots of binkies and eating and drinking.

Should i be worried? I am watching them like a hawk but is this simply a diet change being reflected in their poops? Should i restrict access to the garden? I have done it gradually but maybe it's too much too soon?

Is this something i should worry about?

Louie's poo's have gone darker since he has been having loads of grass and dandelions!
Millions of them though :roll:

Some one told me smaller, darker poo's come from rabbits that are on grass. Have you tried breaking them open? If they look all right on the inside I shouldn't think there is anything to worry about :)

I agree with Liz, smaller, darker poos can often occur when a rabbit is eating large amounts of grass. And then they tend to get bigger and more golden with the dry hay.

Yep, they get darker if they eat grass. It's just as good for them as hay so I wouldn't worry. :)

So it's ok then? Or should i keep them in today? Seems a shame though - they are sooo happy outside - i swear lucky has a smile when he's tearing around and Daisy has 'princess' ballet style binkies :lol::lol::lol:

Its fine. Its not an indication of gut slowdown or anything, its just shows she is eating more fresh food. :)

That's a relief.

They've decided not to join me though. :( Im sat out here on my own. Think it's more shaded and cooler in their house. Every now and again Lucky comes to the door to check I'm still there tho! :lol:

Back