• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OH's mom thinks 3 year old can hold Buckley...

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
He's three, I said bunnies don't like being held by children and she said "Oh, but he had hamsters so I'm sure he'll understand how to do it"

1. He had gerbils
2. HE'S THREE AND HYPER AND NOT VERY GENTLE AT ALL.

How do I break the news that there is no way in hell I am letting Charlie's nephews and nieces anywhere NEAR Buckley without sounding mental?

I get nervous when anyone except me or Charlie even goes upstairs (he's in a room upstairs)...

Does he have free range in the room. Surely the boy can sit on the floor with Buckley on the floor to stroke him.

Does he have free range in the room. Surely the boy can sit on the floor with Buckley on the floor to stroke him.

He doesn't have total free range yet because he's only been here a couple of days, he has a pen and the cage door is open because it's his "base"

She was thinking of bringing the children over today to let them meet Buckley...

He hasn't even ventured out of his base yet and he's only just happy with me being right next to the cage, he won't let me stroke him. He'll lick me but the minute I try and stroke him he dashes to the other side of the cage.

I just had my niece and nephew round today and they are so rough, I never let anyone touch my animals:oops: so they had no chance of holding or touching any of animals, I put Lola in the living room and moved the safety gate to cover the door and locked it.

Children can be very rough with animals, if you are ok with him stroking Buckley on the floor and maybe a little hand feeding go for it otherwise I would put him in a room away from him:wave:

Simples. Tell them he hasnt settled in yet so is very nervous so noone is allowed to hold him. You can take the child to see him, but not go in the pen, just watch. You can say 'ssshhhh hes very scared so we have to be quiet and sit down and watch him'. Kids tend to understand this as they have 'look dont touch' taught to them very young in shops, other peoples houses etc so they dont break things.

all my younger siblings have been brought up with rabbits so were taught how to hold them from being tiny, the youngest siblings who are 9 now handle all my rabbits, accept Rolo who is a pain in the bum and hates being picked up!

but guessing as he hasn't been brought up with them, then yea, make it like a very big thing, he has to be quiet, as the rabbit is new and you don't want to scare the rabbit, and you can make it into a game, so maybe 'sneek' down the garden, tip toeing, make it fun for him but without letting him touch it

x

Last edited:
Thank you guys :) My OH agrees that they should be introduced quietly once he's a bit more settled. Although I think that might be quite soon. He's being very curious and a bit clingy! I went to brush my teeth and he ran to the end of his cage near the door and stood up as if begging me to stay :love:

Yea, I think I have an organic reason for them not to touch him... he was licking me and then must've decided I'm particularly tasty and tried to bite my nail haha I don't think Mikey would like that. Do any of your buns try and chew your fingernails?

He's almost out of his cage now :) It's really exciting to watch.

Back