• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 Femalea nest building- when to remove nest?

Charlotte1804

Warren Scout
My 2 females are nest making. They have used eachothers fur to build it and lots of hay. I have read on here to remove it when they have trashed it. Maybe a stupid question but when do you know if its been trashed??

Are you definiely sure they are two females? I would suggest checking again incase this is a genuine pregnancy.

But yes, wait until they have destroyed it. It won't look like a nest when they have done that and will likely be spread all over the place.

Yes I have taken them to the vets twice to be checked...so surely they would be right!?

Quite a lot of places get it wrong. I had Charlie checked twice and it wasn't till the third time he was checked it was found he was actually male, I was always told he was a girl

Not necessarily. Some rabbits retain their testicles, and some suck them right up inside when checked.

Have you looked at their genitals to see whether they look the same as each other?

Not necessarily. Some rabbits retain their testicles, and some suck them right up inside when checked.

Have you looked at their genitals to see whether they look the same as each other?

I agree with Sky-O. You really need to get a close look at their genitalia to be certain. This thread is really good http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46514. If unsure look at both and ensure they are the same. To be boy bits look as you would expect, kinda flat-ish at the tip but girl bits when you pop them out are quite pointy as the links in the last post on that thread show.

Im not very good at doing that! :?

Who would be making the nest? the female or the male?

Obviously males wont have all the milk teats a female does??

The female. And if she is pregnant, she needs to be separated from the male.

If you can look at their bits (maybe with some help) and they look different then that would be a fair indication.

That doesn't tell you much. Females can hump as much as the males, and they can do it when they are hormonal and wanting a litter, or are pregnant.

Have you ever seen either rabbit hump and then 'fall off' sideways and then get up twitching?

If they are 6 months old they are old enough to be spayed now. This not only removes the hormonal issues including phantom pregnancies, territorial issues but also prevents uterine cancers which is a silent killer in unspayed females.

Back