• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

warm weather and messy bums

charl86

Alpha Buck
Is there a link??

I know it generally related to diet but Ive checked on Sooty this morning and his bum is a bit messy, I dont think his diet has really changed except for some dandilion leaves introduced last week but im sure I gave them to him last summer with no problems :?

Anyway this time last year I went on holiday, just as it was starting to get hot and Sooty stayed at my mums. When I got home she told me she'd took Sooty to the vets for a check up and a clean as he'd bad a really messy bum. I did wonder if the heat had anything to do with it back then as im sure I remember my mum saying the vet had said she'd had a few come in like that recently.

Im gunna cut his veg down anyway and give him a more basic diet and hope it clears it up, but just wondering if any anybody else has ever noticed a link between a change in temp and messy bums as it seems to becoming a pattern here and I cant work out why :?

Has he teeth problems?? Is he podgy?? Has he a spinal problem???
There are lots of reasons why he has a dirty bot.Too many treats or pellets?? Too much veg,not enough hay????
Try doing a search for Flystrike or whats the name for that stuff....the spray?? Plenty of ideas on threads like those.
Wishing bun well for the summer.xxxx

Yes he has regular dentals as he gets molar spurs, typical poor hay eater really but we manage it best we can and we're looking into geting his teeth burred down to the gumline next dental in the hope that will improve things. Just seems strange that his dental issues/diet dont seem to cause a messy bum usually but has done twice coinciding with an increased temp.

Yes he has regular dentals as he gets molar spurs, typical poor hay eater really but we manage it best we can and we're looking into geting his teeth burred down to the gumline next dental in the hope that will improve things. Just seems strange that his dental issues/diet dont seem to cause a messy bum usually but has done twice coinciding with an increased temp.

I am inexperienced with messy bum and high temp (weather), but all those things you mention do play a part.

okay thanks, perhaps its just a coincidence then and just due to the other things mentioned. Just thought I'd see if it was something anybody else had noticed.

I don't know but maybe there could be a link between what he chooses to eat in the warmer weather compared to the cooler?

Perhaps he will choose veg over hay etc and drink more to keep himself hydrated?

I have a bunny with a messy bum but she has it all year round. Like Sooty she's a poor hay eater dental bun so not much I can do about it, if I were to decrease pellets or veg she wouldn't eat so it's just a case of keeping a really close eye, it helps that she's a house bun and hates outdoors.

I don't know but maybe there could be a link between what he chooses to eat in the warmer weather compared to the cooler?

Perhaps he will choose veg over hay etc and drink more to keep himself hydrated?

I have a bunny with a messy bum but she has it all year round. Like Sooty she's a poor hay eater dental bun so not much I can do about it, if I were to decrease pellets or veg she wouldn't eat so it's just a case of keeping a really close eye, it helps that she's a house bun and hates outdoors.

perhaps thats has somthing to do with it not sure if he has been drinking more, i dont really monitor his water cosumption, I'll have to keep an extra close eye on everything.
Sounds like we're in the same boat regarding eating habbits, I just have to find a balance in limiting foods to encourage hay eating without him begining to loose weight. Luckily Sootys a house bun too so windows and doors are being kept shut to reduce the chance of flys today, just waiting for my OH to get home so he can help me to clean him up, I tried to do it on my own and wasn't very sucessful :oops:

Back