• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

argh! rabbit sitting - so frustrated!

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I am rabbit sitting my friend's bunnies in the village while they're away for a month. I go round to their house twice a day and clean out etc. Needless to say they are making all the classic mistakes where bunnies are concerned - the buns aren't neutered/spayed, not vaccinated, not given enough hay, have a CONSTANT supply of pellets. Anyway, first thing I have done is started giving buns just a few pellets each at 6pm each day. I wanted to show my friends when they get back that the buns will be more handleable and open to them if they start associating them with the food, and they'll eat more hay etc...

ANYWAY.... Unbenownst to me her daughter has gone to the house before she meets them on holiday and complained to the rest of the family that I am neglecting my job as there are no pellets in the bowl. Apparently I am starving them! Now there is a big rush to get them into a cattery alongside the cat so that I won't "neglect" them anymore. I am absolutely mad!!!

Oh crikey.Cant you explain your plan??
Bit much of the daughter to say youre neglectful.
Let them do as they wish...the cattery will only do the same if they are clued up on buns.

No chance to explain -just received a text "we have put x, y and z into cattery because you have failed to look after them to the standard we require. X got home and discovered that you had not fed x,y, and z at all" bla bla bla"

I tried to call - didn't pick up. Replied over text, no response.

They don't GET that HAY IS FOOD.

:shock: crikey, thats a bit much. could they not have just asked you why their bowls were empty??

seems to me like a massive overreaction on their part :roll:

No chance to explain -just received a text "we have put x, y and z into cattery because you have failed to look after them to the standard we require. X got home and discovered that you had not fed x,y, and z at all" bla bla bla"

I tried to call - didn't pick up. Replied over text, no response.

They don't GET that HAY IS FOOD.

Oh gawd.Lost friendship???

Maybe a 'sorry' card and a message along the lines of 'I am so sorry I let you down. I was trying to do my best for them, as I had read in several places that rabbits need x,y,z' along with some leaflets or website printouts? the card is just to butter them up, leaflets alone would probably go straight in the bin.

To see it from their point of view they obviously didn't know they were feeding too much and if they were expecting to see full bowls they would obviously think you weren't doing your job if they were empty. Sometimes it is better and more productive to try and educate the owner rather that make changes off your own back based on what you think is best for their animals. Not saying you were wrong but trying to see things from their point of view.

If someone I'd trusted with my buns made changes without asking me because they thought it was right I'd be upset.

:( :( :(

Thanks for advice guys. In my head it made so much sense, but in reality it just looks bad, but they should still give me a chance to explain...

Oh no, I'm so sorry, I can see from their point of view that they would think that if they didn't know any better. Is there any way you can explain that hay is more important and that you've done a lot of research yourself into the matter? If they can see that you've done exactly what is recommended then hopefully they won't be too angry.

I've been asked to look after one of my mum's colleagues rabbits for two weeks in August, I have no idea what to expect but I'm not too optimistic.

Rabbits eat rabbit food, right? Why would they eat their bed? They found them with no rabbit food so assumed you were starving them, it is an easy conclusion to make when you don't know the real facts about feeding bunnies.

I have been told I am cruel many many times because my bun only gets a small amount of 'food'.

I think you will just have to explain, I second the idea of showing the leaflets, this will back up your point. I doubt they'll believe you otherwise. I think it would be best if you try and speak to them face to face. Showing them your own buns should help, 'do they look as if they're starved? the vet thinks they are really healthy' etc. The biggest thing you have to remember is to look at it from their point of view when you are talking to them, imagine how they are feeling.

I know you were only doing what you thought was right so it must be really hard for you, but I agree you have to see it for their point of view too. My sister gives her rabbits unlimited pellets and she's a wonderful owner. Her rabbits love hay and choose to eat the hay too. They're very healthy rabbits. When I look after her rabbits for her I give them unlimited pellets. Although I would never do this for Samus because she'd just pig on the pellets over the hay and get fat. :roll: I guess, at the same time, it must be hard for you to do something you see as fundamentally wrong...

Difficult situation. I would try and speak to them about it and say you are really sorry but you thought you were doing the right thing as their diet should be 80% hay and perhaps show them a leaflet. If you think they're still going to be off with you I would get them a sorry card. Then you can write a little message in there saying how you thought you were doing the right thing and sorry you offended them or scared them. And would they like to come and see your rabbits as this is how you feed them and see how happy and healthy they are? :)

I'm sorry this has happened to you. :( I'm rabbit-sitting at the moment, and although I have various issues with the way the rabbit is cared for it's difficult to balance keeping the friendship and improving the lot of the rabbit.

I would right an apology letter and explain what you were doing and why but also put your hands up and say you realise in hindsight that you went about things the wrong way. Enclosing leaflet is a good idea.

If you do a letter it will give you a chance to put your point across before you talk so it doesn't get heated and they don't listen if they are upset.

I would right an apology letter and explain what you were doing and why but also put your hands up and say you realise in hindsight that you went about things the wrong way. Enclosing leaflet is a good idea.

If you do a letter it will give you a chance to put your point across before you talk so it doesn't get heated and they don't listen if they are upset.

This sounds like a good way of dealing with the situation.

I have some spare leaflets covering many aspects of rabbit welfare. All from RWA. Let me know if you need any.

Let's hope this works out well for all parties concerned including the bunnies.

Good luck. x

Last edited:
sounds like good advice.

didn't you think you might be a bit cheeky, from their point of view, assuming you knew more about their animals than they did? of course, you do, but they don't know that!

I concur with what has already been said. In hindsight you didn't handle it the right way and I would be furious if someone 'thought' they knew better than me and chose to adjust my animals routine/feeding etc without having the courtesy to ask me first.

In this instance you do know better but at this point in time, they are not aware of that.

I would write them an apology letter expressing that you understand why they reacted the way they did but you only did it out of genuine concern for the buns. Enclose several different leaflets too if you can.

On a slightly different note and this is out of curiosity, if a bun has been fed such a pellet heavy diet, don't you have to reduce the pellets gradually or am I talking out of my fluffy white bobtail :lol:

I think they are wrong Kate. If the daughter is going to the house and double checking, then frankly she could have taken care of them herself. They didnt hold back on dumping you and finding an alternative place, and were hardly tactful in telling you that you FAILED (their implications).

How did they know that the rabbits hadnt eaten all the pellets you had fed them??????? so they were jumping the gun.

You have a lot of mumpties in your life Kate and, not the first one, with rabbits. I would just cut them loose and see this as a good thing. You dont need to explain what you were doing, or make them understand. I would give the boarding place near Alices, to anyone else that is going on holiday.

PS Just had a thought. This isnt the mumpty who has them in a small hutch and youve fallen out previously with, who threatened you?????

PPS Just noticed that my view is different to other posters, who are suggesting you apologize, and you will have to do whats best for you. I personally dont think you need to apologize and would see this as getting rid of unsuitable people from your life - but thats me:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Back