• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Horse forage for buns?

willowholly

Mama Doe
Went to Downtown yesterday to get a bag of megazorb & was looking at other horses products.They had huge,& I mean huge,sacks of forage with herbs for only £7 & was wondering if this would be any good for the rabbits.One bag of Oxbow is well over that & lasts a few days only.What do you think,is it safe for them?

I have no idea if it is safe as I don't know much about forage for bunnys but does it list what's inside the sack?

I'd like to say yes as rabbits are basically small horses; their digestive system works in very much the same way... but hopefully someone with some actually knowledge will come along soon and confirm or deny that.

It depends on what is in it and how it has been stored. Horses can tolerate wet forage like haylage where the grass has fermented. Buns wouldn't manage this and would give them tummy problems.

A lot of horse stuff also has molasses in it, again not good for buns.

Do you remember what it was called and I could do some research? I used to have horses but have swapped them for rabbits! :lol::lol:

Was it something like this

http://www.dodsonandhorrellonline.c...o&cPath=33_2_55_88_1_20_60&products_id=100061

Last edited:
No,it was nothing like that.It was huge-came upto my waist & was £7 not £33.Will see if I can google it.Thanks anyway.:D

Was it like the Just Grass stuff? I have used that before for the odd handful. Some of the chaff type stuff I wouldnt give to them because its kind of sticky, I assume a molasses stuff on it and Buzzby definitely doesnt need any neat sugar like that. Assuming the ingredients were dried and only bunny safe plants should be fine.

Did it look like a bag of hay with other stuff? Or like dried plants or something?

If it's just dried grass and herbs and stuff then it's probably ok, but you'd have to know what's in it.

Molasses is not good for horses either, hence why Obie is on a no molasses diet!
I imagine it would be okay but I'd double check the ingredients :wave:

Back