• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Using straw as a bedding

Alicia

Mama Doe
My rabbits were meant to be temporarily on woodshavings, but they have been bedded on woodshavings now since I got them 3 weeks ago and I really need to change it. People suggested hay to me, and I am looking at getting a bale of hay next week so that it will last longer, because all my pets get through a lot of hay, but I was wondering if it would be ok to use straw as a bedding. In the open part where the mesh is on the hutch, I just put newspaper because it would go everywhere if I put woodshavings there, and in the closed part of the hutch I was going to put newspaper with straw on top and then they'd have their hay in a box in there too. Does this sound ok?

I know that with guinea pigs you're not supposed to use straw because they can poke themselves in the eye with it, not sure if it's the case with buns though. I imagine it won't pose such a risk as a bun is not as close to the ground as a pig?

I use straw in the night bit, I dont put anything in the open bit of the hutch, they just have two litter trays which have newspaper and hay in them. I dont see that being poked in the eye with staw would be worse than being poked in the eye with hay. If you're worried you can buy the stuff thats cut short.

I think many prefer hay to straw because its softer, and less likely to cause eye injury.

Also some have the best of both worlds with straw(for warmth) topped with hay.

On cold nights you can use a towel or a snugglesafe too

sue:wave:

I would go for straw under hay as straw is cheaper.

I also use litter in the areas where they wee wee - just the wood pellet stuff and it helps adbsorb moisture. Also in the litter try but they dont always use it (this is for outside buns).

Straw comes in 3 varieties, as it is the stalk of a crop, Oat, Wheat and Barley. Some are softer than others, some are longer than others, Oat is most palatable (more likely to be eaten) by most animals.

Back