• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis. So fed up. :(

RubyGordy

Alpha Buck
Just been battling to get Wesley over stasis. Nearly 3 weeks and around £300 later, I brought him home on Thursday, from a 2 night stay at the vets where he'd been doing well and has been just about back to normal since. Before they took him in, I was really thinking it was hopeless.

So - had two fit and happy bunnies back again up until I came back from a dog walk at lunchtime, big bag of grass in hand, to find Ruby quiet and lethargic. I knew instantly there was something wrong. I've had her almost 3 years and, in that time, she's always been very active, sociable, cheeky and has eaten for England with no signs of any ill effects.

I can't believe it. Neither could the vet when I rushed her up there. She's had some pain relief and gut stimulant (forgotten the name - zantac??) but is no better. Not eating and not pooing. Can't think what could have affected them both. Hairballs? Nothing showed up on Wesley's X ray apart from excess gas.

Tearing my hair out - and I really can't afford all this at the moment either. :(

Last edited:
Oh dear :cry:

Are you feeding them a lot of grass ? It is very rich atm and can cause problems for some Rabbits.

No chance of any mould on hay/food ?

What have their poos been like ?

Oh poor you and your bunnies, I really feel for you, it's so horrible. Amy my rabbit has had ongoing bouts of stasis since end of last year - this evening I came home to find another bout had started :(

Sorry I can't ad much but just wanted to give my support as I know how you are feeling at the moment.

Nicola

I gave them a pile of grass yesterday but Wesley has been fine. Ruby has always eaten grass from the garden and been OK but maybe, as you say, this new stuff was too much for her if she ate a lot of it.

Her poos, up to today have been fine - as normal. The only thing I did think was that she'd not seemed to have been eating much hay the last few days. And I wonder, as I've been giving Wesley green leaves, dandelions etc to try and get him to eat, if she's been gorging on them and so gone off hay? I had a delivery of Ings hay on Weds which is meant to be great quality but she didn't seem interested. Previously they've had (and still have) the grassy stuff from the local equine feed centre but been fine on it.

I've mostly kept them together while battling with Wes - only a couple of nights was he inside in a large dog cage so I could monitor him - and when he was at the vets.

Bar that, I really can't think. I can't imagine they'd have been affected by anything else. It can be noisy round here but they're used to that.

Last edited:
I have every sympathy, as my Jemima has been very up and down over the last few months.

Last time I just put Jemima down in the garden and got her really moving around. As she wasn't eating she didn't eat any grass to cause her problems, but after a while she ate one blade of grass which was such progress!

I think it's just the time of year, but it's so worrying isn't it :(

Thanks for all your comments.

Well, amazingly, Ruby is back to normal again! So what that was yesterday, I'm still not clear. The vet said it seemed to be the Zantac that got Wesley going again and maybe it was the same that worked for Ruby - though she did have some pain relief, Emeprid and a bit of Fibreplex as well.

One thing that is for certain - it's very little veg from now on.

Phew!

Back