• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paranoid About Stasis

CazScho

Mama Doe
Over the last month or so, I've had several episodes of buns going into stasis and emergency vet visits. So far everything has turned out okay eventually and they've started eating again.

But, I've now got really really paranoid about them. Every time I come home from work I rush out and check if they're eating. Throughout the evening I feed them little bits to check stuff is going in and last thing at night too, to try and keep them eating until morning. Every morning I hold my breath until they've eaten and if anything seems slightly odd, like not jumping straight into fresh hay, or lying down I'm leaping up to get them a treat to see if they're eating.

Today it was Dillon. He didn't seem interested in Readigrass beyond a mouthful or two, and didn't eat the fresh hay. He would take a bit of fenugreek crunchy, and he accepted a dandelion leaf - but not keen like he nomally does. I know it's been warm today, but he's just been really quiet.

He's now eating hay as they've started livening up for the afternoon/evening, so I think he's fine and it's just that it's been warm.

Thing is though, it's starting to really stress me out. I'm so worried about them not eating that it's taking over the enjoyment I normally have looking after them and caring for them. I just don't know how everyone who cares for ill bunnies copes, I really really don't.

I don't know what I want anyone to say really, and I know that I'm lucky that I don't have chronically ill buns. But I'm a real worrier and even my husband is starting to roll his eyes when I say that one if them isn't right or is off their food a bit. I don't know how to calm down about it :(

I can go through phases like this. Last September/October was as bad is it's got - I had six weeks where each week one bunny was sick - I had 3 sick on consecutive days. Dot died of a blockage during that time. :cry::cry: I swore I wouldn't get above 4 bunnies again as I can't cope with the stress of it. Rudy has fairly frequent bloat/stasis episodes and the others have taken it in turns. Somehow or other I sought out 'number 6' as a companion for 'number 5' so back up to six again. Then took in 2 that 'definitely aren't staying' - we're now up to eight :roll:.

When I get up/ in from work/out for a few hours I have to immediately go round everybody checking that they are okay. I've got to be absolutely sure they are okay before I will leave the house. I *think* we are back to sensible vigilance at the moment but it does reach paranoia often. I think I've just accepted it as part of bunny ownership now. I did think the pleasure of bunnies would never return but it has - it will for you too.

I think you just need to try your best to not worry (easier said than done I know)!!

I am like you a huuuuge worrier, I have wasted so much of my time worrying about things that I either can't do anything about or haven't happened. I have spent many holidays abroad worried about my cats and if they are ok-just a waste of time-what could I do in another counrty-what would be would be!!

I am still a worrier but not as much as I used to be (I don't think). I just try and look at the situation and think 'is this really worth worrying about'. If one of the buns isn't quite as eager for their food as they should be I take time to look at the other factors (like you said today-the warmer weather) and try and be realistic.

You can't do anything about their health and what may/may not happen so just enjoy them while they are all fine and dandy. I spent so so much time worrying about my old cat Rudy that when look back I just wish I hadn't so much, it didn't change anything in the end, just made me stressed and upset.

Saying all this I am still a worrier in comparison to others, I just try and put things into perspective a bit more.

I live like this everyday with Pie as she has chronic gut problems. To the point of being scared to go and check on her in the morning incase she's gone in the night :(

It's been 3 weeks since I almost lost her to stasis and she's had bloat since then. I dunno, as time goes on the paranoia passes some what. It never goes away but does get better.
I'm sorry, I don;t know what else to say or how else to explain. :oops:

Back