• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rearguard for indoor buns?

esupi

Warren Veteran
Is it necessary? They're indoors generally, but probably 2-3 hours a day outside at the weekends. Both keep themselves clean just fine but I'm fairly paranoid so just wondered what everyone else does/thinks about this.

Thanks!

Is it necessary? They're indoors generally, but probably 2-3 hours a day outside at the weekends. Both keep themselves clean just fine but I'm fairly paranoid so just wondered what everyone else does/thinks about this.

Thanks!

I do all of my rabbits regardless if they are indoor or outdoor buns, I think rabbits can get flystrike even if they are clean but im not 100% sure:wave:

I have never used Rearguard and have never had to deal with flystrike. If a bun is fed the correct diet so it doesn't get a mucky bum and it's accommodation is kept clean then they shouldn't get flystrike. If they have tummy issues that can't be resolved then it's ok to use it until it can be fixed but being vigilant is always better than using a chemical. Buns can also get flystrike if they have an open wound.

I have never used Rearguard and have never had to deal with flystrike. If a bun is fed the correct diet so it doesn't get a mucky bum and it's accommodation is kept clean then they shouldn't get flystrike. If they have tummy issues that can't be resolved then it's ok to use it until it can be fixed but being vigilant is always better than using a chemical. Buns can also get flystrike if they have an open wound.

This.
With correct husbandry,teeth looked after,weight etc,there is no need for chemicals.
Lots of folk like Citronella to keep the flies at bay.

This.
With correct husbandry,teeth looked after,weight etc,there is no need for chemicals.
Lots of folk like Citronella to keep the flies at bay.

Hemcore has citronella in it as well so that could be used in litter trays if you are worried.

Thanks! I've actually used it before, but noticed on the instructions this time that it said it could result in loss of appetite which made me wonder if it actually wasn't that good for them. We'll hang fire with it for now then.

I don't rearguard my indoor buns, I do have flypaper at the windows and a fly zapper which helps to keep down the fly population and also gets rid of those nasty biting insects too :)

I wouldn't use Rearguard unless they are particularly at risk. You could use Flyguard as prevention but as they are indoors I don't think that is necessary either.

Mine are indoor buns and I rear guard them. Poppy had flystrike last year:cry: But thank god it was caught in matter of hours so she is all ok now.

hmm. Has there been any adverse reaction to the rearguard though? I noticed on the label it said that it might cause loss of appetite, which is what made me qu
estion it in the first place - that can't be good for them!

I don't think that non-prescription necessarily means safer. Those licenced and available on prescription will have been through stringent scientific tests of their safety and effectiveness before being approved - not necessarily true of shop bought products. Personally I would not use any of these products on healthy rabbits. Search 'rearguard' on here and you should find a few threads discussing the value of anti-flystrike products.

Back