• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit at risk :( *sad*

Jodes

Mama Doe
My neighbour has a dutch x lop...beautiful black girl....only im seriously not happy with the way shes being kept :'(...
Bunny was bought 2 years ago for the daughter who has now lost interest in who i call 'ebony'. they also have a dog who will chase anything :(
Shes in a up/down hutch with just peper,no bowl for food,its just put in...i dont know when it gets fed...i went round today and sat in the garden with neighbour and i spoke about digs.,asked to cuddle bunny....i can feel her spine,ribs and her back leg bones :'( i supported her bottom and had a look at her tummy and bottom area... VERY VERY thin! i have no idea what to do...i was talkin about digs- things i feed him etc....then she went in and got the food she feeds ebony...its the mix :/
I cant say anything....what can i do?! i have only had digs a while but learning so much already....can i offer to have her and bond or something???

Tricky situation, i think you should do whats best for you hun. If you feel that the rabbit is not being looked after properly then i think to start off you should offer your neighbour some friendly advice on feeding etc and take it from there.

Not all people have the right knowlege on how to care for rabbits the correct way, im sure she would be greatfull for your advice.

If shes struggling with looking after her bun, you should offer to take her bun on, if you have the space.

Good luck :D

I would continue with the friendly approach, diet seems to be the most important thing here as she's underweight so start with that. :)
Take round a sample of the hay you get and say something about being glad to find good value hay because it's so important to their diet and how you wouldn't want to end up paying out for dentals. Then continue to say how you've been reading about dental problems and that they can cause rabbits to stop eating/struggle to pick up their food.
Maybe get hold of some of excels leaflets about how important diet is and drop them round for her, say you found them a good read and thought she might like to take a look.

Tricky situation, i think you should do whats best for you hun. If you feel that the rabbit is not being looked after properly then i think to start off you should offer your neighbour some friendly advice on feeding etc and take it from there.

Not all people have the right knowlege on how to care for rabbits the correct way, im sure she would be greatfull for your advice.

If shes struggling with looking after her bun, you should offer to take her bun on, if you have the space.

Good luck :D

just feel ****!! heartbroken for that bun....digs has my whole flat to binky in and she dont get out at all :'( she cant...even when i cuddled her,the dog was going crazy!

I said about the pellets etc and what veg they are allowed to have,that i come on here and really learning,how im loving all of it...trying to drop hints but i dont know what else to say.she said she does give veg and stuff....i gave bun dandilion leaves and a load of grass...she ate it all so quick :( feel really distressed about it :'( was the way the food was just...shoved in and thats it :(

I would continue with the friendly approach, diet seems to be the most important thing here as she's underweight so start with that. :)
Take round a sample of the hay you get and say something about being glad to find good value hay because it's so important to their diet and how you wouldn't want to end up paying out for dentals. Then continue to say how you've been reading about dental problems and that they can cause rabbits to stop eating/struggle to pick up their food.
Maybe get hold of some of excels leaflets about how important diet is and drop them round for her, say you found them a good read and thought she might like to take a look.

I didnt think of doing that,thanks :)

She really just needs hay. :wave:
Buy them a bag if you can, just a cheap one from Wilkinson's or Tesco maybe as it's the most important part of their diet. Just say they need that all the time and food once a day.

Back