• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vhd vaccination.....problem?

sheridan

Warren Scout
hi

Im not sure if I am over reacting or not.

Yesterday Gizmo got her VHD vaccination for the first time. She was fine for the rest of the day. Today I have gone down to find her hiding under areas she never really hid under before. She isnt coming to me when I call her and is eating but only when I put the food infront of her.

She seems to be pooping and peeing ok as her litterbox is soiled.
When she is moving about, it is slow and she isnt really showing any interest in anything, except to chew papers...

Can there be side effects from the VHD vaccination>?
She doesnt have a discharge from the nose/eyes/ears

Thanks

Yes, it may well be due to the VHD Vaccine, especially if it was the Cylap one.

The side effects should resolve within 24-48 hours. Meantime it is very important that she keeps eating and pooing.

If she seems to be getting worse then you need to contact your Vet. Sometimes some Metacam is required for a couple of days.

Did she have Cylap or Lapinject? Cylap is known to cause both a reaction at the injection site and a stiffness in the legs (Cylap Limp).

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Yes its cylap.
I feel so guilty now that I didnt research the vaccinations and that she now has this.

I have already called the emergency vet and have informed them of this but they state this int really a side effect and she has probably fallen from somewhere??????

At least they have her on their records now and if I am concerned I can take her straight in..

My poor baby!

Crafty devils - I'd insist they mark her card with the symptoms. Cylap is well known by vets to cause side effects. Try not to worry too much - the symptoms do usually pass quite quickly and it's still better that she's had the VHD jab than nothing at all, even if it does cause a few problems for a day or two. We've all used Cylap in the past and would continue to do so if something else hadn't since come along. You didn't do the wrong thing :D.

thanks guys.
i have just been downstairs and have fed her all her veggies by hand soaked in water. she also ate some pellets when i was holding her but i think she just wants to hide for a bit so i will leave her alone and then try again in a while.

with regards to the vet, as long as all is well i will forget about their stupid comment today but will call my own vet tomorrow am and make sure they mark her card!!

i am actually surprised they dont warn you about the side effects. as a dr, if i am going to give someone something, you have to warn them about serios side effects!!

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Yes its cylap.
I feel so guilty now that I didnt research the vaccinations and that she now has this.

I have already called the emergency vet and have informed them of this but they state this int really a side effect and she has probably fallen from somewhere??????

At least they have her on their records now and if I am concerned I can take her straight in..

My poor baby!

Bull Poo !!

From the Cylap Data Information Sheet:

Contra-indications, warnings, etc
Only healthy rabbits should be vaccinated.
Do not vaccinate sick animals or those suspected to be in the incubation period.
To avoid severe adverse reactions contraindications must be strictly adhered to. Rabbits are known to be prone to stress related reactions.
The entire contents of the bottle should be used within three hours of the first extraction of vaccine.
Can be used in pregnant animals but they should be handled with care.

Up to 50% of animals will show palpable reactions which consist of swelling measuring up to 2 cm in diameter, redness and in some cases hair loss. The swelling subsides within 2-3 weeks without further treatment. Up to 50% of animals will show transient moderate pyrexia appearing within one day of vaccination and lasting for up to 3 days. Following vaccination animals may exhibit transient forelimb lameness which normally resolves within 48 hours.
No information is available on the safety and efficacy of this vaccine when used with any other veterinary medicinal product. A decision to use this vaccine before or after any other veterinary medicinal product therefore needs to be decided on a case by case basis.
Do not mix with any other veterinary medicinal product.
Withdrawal period: Zero days.
The entire contents of a vial should be used within three hours of the first extraction of vaccine.
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Accidental self-inoculation
To the user
This product contains mineral oil. Accidental injection/self injection may result in severe pain and swelling, particularly if injected into a joint or finger, and in rare cases could result in the loss of the affected finger if prompt medical attention is not given.
If you are accidentally injected with this product, seek prompt medical advice even if only a very small amount is injected and take the package insert with you.
If pain persists for more than 12 hours after medical examination, seek medical advice again.
To the physician
This product contains mineral oil. Even if small amounts have been injected, accidental injection with this product can cause intense swelling which may, for example, result in ischaemic necrosis and even the loss of a digit. Expert, PROMPT, surgical attention is required and may necessitate early incision and irrigation of the injected area, especially where there is involvement of finger pulp or tendon.

Full info here:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cylap/-44933.html

Jacks-Jane, I totally agree.
I have just been reading multiple fact sheets on VHD now and they all state this. A bit annoyed actually that they were insisting that it was unlikely to be the vaccine and she will have injured herself!!!

She is still hiding but I will go and check on her regularly

All I can say is thank you so much to people like you and Mackers and all others who reply so quickly with good advice and info!!!

well you can now add heart attack to Gizmo and ME!!

Went down to check on her and she was lying completely still on her side with her eyes closed, completely spread out!

Now with how she was feeling I assumed she was dead and went in screaming at which point she jumped up scared!!!

PHEW! Anyhoooo she is now eating pooping and peeing so looking good!

Oh no Im really worried now :( Getting our 10 week old mini lop vaccinated on Tues, I will be asking the vet which vaccine they will be using!!! He's an indoor bun and someone told me not to bother with jabs but I thought that was really irresponsible!! Thanks for bringing this to my attention - not looking forward to Tues :( First ever bun so its all new to us x

My three had VHD vaccine a few weeks ago, Tilly and Peter seemed fine, but Murphy was definately not himself for a few days, he was quiter than normal and went off his food, we kept a close eye on him and he is ok now, but it is a worry.

Back