• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice appreciated for a bunny recovering from stasis

Tracy

Warren Veteran
Daisy went into stasis last Sunday and has been a very poorly bunny. Her thread is here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=279778

She is recovering gradually and I'm seeing slight improvements each day, but her appetite is being very slow to return. Any advice on how I can help bring her appetite back and also to build her back up (she has lost quite a lot of weight) would be really appreciated. :)

At the moment she won't eat pellets, hay or greens.

She'll eat small amounts of apple, carrot and dandelion leaves, but only if I hold them up to her mouth while she nibbles, she won't pick them up herself.

She will eat grass, but I am only giving very small amounts as she isn't used to eating a lot of this in her normal diet.

She will eat quite strong tasting/smelling veg which she wouldn't touch before the stasis....watercress, celery, spinach and rocket. Is it normal for bunnies to go for stronger tasting stuff after a bout of stasis? I didn't even have to hold these up to her mouth, she just helped herself to them. Haven't given her much of these, just a very small amount of each.

I'm syringe feeding her 100ml of critical care each day (in 4 doses).

Daisy is still on Zantac (3 times a day) and metacam (once a day).

She's looking more comfortable in herself and is lying in more relaxed positions now, rather than sitting hunched up, so I think she is feeling much better.

Is there anything else I can be doing to help Daisy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's been a horrible and very stressful week...I just want my little girl back to her normal self.

i'm glad she's showing signs of improvement:)

i've found that the taste for pellets has been last to return when mine have been poorly but yes, they do seem to like stronger tasting things they wouldn't usually bother with, ie coriander. i also find that eric especially is tempted to eat by carrot tops and dill and i give him sneaky pea flakes as he always wants 2 or 3....

it does seen to take ages to get them 'right' again and its soooo draining:( i can't add anything i'm afraid as you seem to be doing all that can help daisy get fighting fit so sending her nose rubs and a hug for you xxx

I'm glad to hear she's getting better.

Parsley seems to work nicely as does something called "Dandelion delight" which pets at home sells, its very fragant and mine go nuts for it. I have found that it takes a while for the pellet appetite to return. I tend to offer mine a variety of hays as well.

Do you know the underlying cause of the stasis ?

Did the Vet run any diagnostics ?

We don't know what has caused this. I've been racking my brain trying to find a reason for it.

Daisy had xrays and also blood tests when she was hospitalised on Monday/Tuesday. These didn't reveal anything.

Nothing had changed in her diet or environment. She has been moulting heavily recently, so maybe the stasis is connected with that, although the xrays didn't show any blockage.

Thanks Poppymoon and Lauraj27 :D

It sounds like Daisy's speed of recovery isn't too unusual then....I think I'm expecting a full recovery too quickly and then getting worried because it's not happening.

She's not usually one for herbs as I don't think she likes the strong smell, but I'll get a selection from the supermarket tomorrow and try and tempt her with them.

i know exactly how you feel!! even when the vet said that eric's tum felt much better, to me he still wasn't really eating so i was watching him like a hawk and getting really despondent. really did seem to take ages but if she's eating little and often, the poops will come:)

We don't know what has caused this. I've been racking my brain trying to find a reason for it.

Daisy had xrays and also blood tests when she was hospitalised on Monday/Tuesday. These didn't reveal anything.

Nothing had changed in her diet or environment. She has been moulting heavily recently, so maybe the stasis is connected with that, although the xrays didn't show any blockage.

I've just been through this with Wesley. It was over 2 weeks. X Ray showed no blockage and he's been on pain relief, antibiotics, baytril, fibreplex - the lot. I was thinking it was hopeless and took him to the vet the other day to be kept in overnight for a final surge of treatment and he's now recovering.

The vet got him eating some dandelions and he finally started pooing small amounts. I decided to bring him home after two nights in there and he seems fine now he's back; eating hay and grass and running around with Ruby. He's pooing a lot but it's all very small and some of it is in clusters.

I bought Daisy some parsley and coriander and they went down a treat. :D I didn't give her too much, but what she did have disappeared in no time.

This morning she looked much more like her usual self and was eating her normal spring greens etc as usual. As soon as they had finished the veg, she was first to run over to the food bowl for pellets. :D She didn't eat many pellets, but the fact that she has eaten some shows that her appetite is returning to normal, thank goodness. :D I've yet to see her eat hay, although it could be that she has done and I've just not spotted her do it.

Thanks so much for the advice on trying her with herbs. :wave:

RubyGordy - I hope Wesley is still doing well. :)

It is not at all unusual for ileus (gut slowing) to persist for 2 weeks following an acute episode of stasis/bloat, which is why ongoing medication for atleast 5 days AFTER bun is back to NORMAL is so important especially in buns predisposed to this.

It is not at all unusual for ileus (gut slowing) to persist for 2 weeks following an acute episode of stasis/bloat, which is why ongoing medication for atleast 5 days AFTER bun is back to NORMAL is so important especially in buns predisposed to this.

I think I was expecting too much too soon and was getting stressed by the fact that even though her guts were moving again (we were getting poos coming through) she still had no real appetite.

Daisy is no longer on metaclopramide and vetergesic, but we have to continue with zantac and metacam until at least next Wednesday.

Also, I saw her eating hay this afternoon. :D

Back