• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Insurance

maisey

New Kit
Hello
I have recently bought a lionhead dwarf, and was wondering about rabbit insurance and whether it is worth it. I have had lots of rabbits in the past and never had it done . . . my last rabbit had no problems but die young by an unknown cause :( but I did buy her from a show and it was actually a pedigree rabbit so i do feel the breeding was probably better than a pet shop rabbit. Saying that I have had rabbit that have had all sorts of problems in the past. What does everyone one think? Do you have insurance and if you don't mind saying how much it costs you and whether you think it is worth it.
Thanks

I pay £9 a month per bunny, I have 2. I couldn't decide whether to get insurance or not as both had already been to the vets with various different problems, and if they've already had one illness/condition before you insure them, that illness won't be covered for at least 1-2 years. However, neither bun had had stasis/tummy problems, which I knew could be a major concern, so I insured them mainly because of that. And last weekend Honey had a blockage in her tummy, we had to take her to the emergency vet at 10pm on Sunday, and it was £150 just to see the vet, before they even did anything!! :shock: so I was very glad she was insured!! I still have to pay £55 excess but it's definitely still worth it, assuming they pay out... :wave:

If you have no current health problems with your bun, then I would def recommend it, you never know what's around the corner! And do it ASAP, don't wait until you think something might be up, as insurance cover with Petplan doesn't kick in until 2 weeks have passed.

Really depends on the cost. The best quote I got was forty-something pounds a month which was just not worth it at all - I'd be better off saving the money up!

I've just purchased it from P@H because i get discount and for two buns it's £10 a month for a lifetime policy, so £5 a month each. Plus I got a £10 voucher per bun :) Thought it was worth it but gotta read the documents when they come to make sure!

Is it? I will have to have a look because I'm still waiting for the information to come through the post and I can still cancel it.

What's the excess on petplan?

My two girls are insured with Petplan - it costs me around £21 a month for both. It gives me peace of mind knowing I'll never be in a situation where I can't afford treatment :wave:

my goodness thats alot! is that for lots of buns or just one?

It's for two. The only reaon I can think of is that I live in London. Which is silly because I don't know what's more likely to happen to them here. Especially when they are housebuns. Perhaps it's because the vet fees are likely to be higher?

In fact, I've just done another quote with Petplan and it's £44.97 a month for both.

I wish I could pick what cover to have. There's no point whatsoever in having any kind of cover for them being lost or stolen - there's nowhere for them to escape to from a 3rd floor flat (except when Sergeant squirmed onto next door's balcony!) and if I was burgled the last thing a burglar would take would be the buns! And if it shoud happen, what good is money to me?

Back