• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to cool down the shed?

The easiest way would be to replace the windows with mesh. If that's possible. You could make it so that the other windows can be fitted back on in the winter if you're really clever. :)

Otherwise if it has electricity you could have a fan installed where they can't reach it. Or if all else fails get some 2ltr bottles and fill them about half full of water and put them in the freezer. Then the buns can lie next to them.

Thank you, I will definitely do the water bottles for now.

Going to B and Q tomorrow to look at chicken wire, but my dad and hubby might have to help me (I get moaned at for trying to do stuff at 7 months pregnant lol).

Unfortunately the shed doesn't have electricity, so I can't put a fan there.

Thanks for your ideas!

i use the bottle method! my buns love it! i use the longg lemonade type cos they can stretch out longg, but reli any will do :) my mum hates me cos i take up 2 draws in the frezzer aaha

Oh, and try to get something a little stronger than chicken wire. It can be chewed through. I know it's up high on the windows but better safe than sorry. :)

This is something i was thinking about yesterday. Im in the middle of creating my bunny playhouse :D I have an internal mesh door (weld mesh) so i can leave the main door open during the day, but it still gets quite hot (by the way, whats it like if you get down on their level? I noticed its a lot cooler down there ;))

Id like to take the windows out but im worried i break them and dad thinks its a stupid idea so wont do it :? ... probably because he wont know how to put them back in!

What about those cage fans you can get for dog crates and stuff? I think theyre battery operated, you could check those out and buy a couple?

Sorry im not much help, kind of in the same situation :?

Insulating and lining out hutches makes them warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Dont forget to do the roof area as well.

I have a really thick wood shed and it is a lot cooler in the summer than my normal wendy which originally was unlined and uninsulated. Since I have insulated it is is so much cooler in the summer

you can buy solar powered fans on ebay, ive oredered one, i will let you know how i get on....the doors in my summerhouse are always open in the daytime, plus the buns are out in the runs, its the nights i worry about..Im hoping there will be a switch so it can be switched off in the day whilst the suns doing its thing, and be on overnight whilst they are in there....

Thanks for the replies.

I have replaced some of the glass with wire mesh. I have also bought a battery operated fan that's meant for dog crates. And I have a bottle of water in the freezer ready for hot days!

I also have some ceramic tiles somewhere, so might put those down for them to lay on when it is hot.

Hubby made me a fan thingy for my two buns. He used a 5 inch computer cooling fan and attached it to a motorcycle battery. It gives the most amazing breeze and the buns love sitting in front of it as it hangs outside their run where they most like to sit/lay during the day. It works really well and only has to be charged every other day and is also very portable so I can easily take it in the car too when I have to take them to the vets etc :D

my neighbour was getting her kitchen floor tiled and gave me a couple of spare floor tiles to put in my bunny shed. They are quite cool to lie on (though prob a bit hard and uncomfortable).

One of the best ways would be to construct a false roof on battons leaving room for air to circulate underneath it. The false roof would absorb the heat but the gap would stop it radiating in to the shed

You could try solar reflective paint for the roof...I am busy contemplating whether to try this on the outhouse. It's supposed to significantly reduce heat gain.

I am loving all the fan ideas, I will have to investigate them :)

i use the bottle method! my buns love it! i use the longg lemonade type cos they can stretch out longg, but reli any will do :) my mum hates me cos i take up 2 draws in the frezzer aaha

That makes me laugh as in the Summer our freezer is just full of ice pods for the rabbits, they fill three draws easy :lol::lol:

You could try solar reflective paint for the roof...I am busy contemplating whether to try this on the outhouse. It's supposed to significantly reduce heat gain.

I am loving all the fan ideas, I will have to investigate them :)

I thought about this too, but it's so expensive, about £28 for one tin :shock:

That makes me laugh as in the Summer our freezer is just full of ice pods for the rabbits, they fill three draws easy :lol::lol:

I have two ice pods, they really work well for us cos they take up a lot less space than 1L bottles. :thumb: We have a small freezer and it's usually full with bread and the leftovers from gluts on the allotments.

Back