• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any advice?...

Trixielover

Mama Doe
Hi! :wave:
Well I have a pair of bunnies (Domino and Tallulah) who are boy and girl. Domino has been doing a LOT of humping!!! :roll: Well long story short parents don't want babies and there is spraying all over th hutch and Tallulah's just done it on me! :roll:

If they are not both 'fixed' then you need to separate them now, tonight, and you need to get the girl checked out for pregnancy, and get the boy neutered ASAP too. You will need to keep them apart until 6-8 weeks after the boys neuter and then rebond them back. Ideally though, it would be better to wait until the girl has been spayed and has recovered, too (and don't bond the boy back if mum is pregnant and raises the kits, that will need to wait until a long time in the future- likely about 4 months from now).

Ok. I don't have anything that one of them can use. :? They are already booked in for Tuesday. :)

How old are they? If the girl is pregnant, Tuesday may be too late.

you do really need to separate them. Could you borrow something from someone? Maybe get something from freeads/preloved/gumtree/freecycle? Just remember to thoroughly disinfect before using a second hand hutch.

Last edited:
11 wks and 2 days (approximately) I won't lie to you, I got them from a breeder though next time will be getting from a rescue. What could I use?! :?

Is the appointment for a health check and neutering on Tuesday for both ?
If yes, they need to be kept separate after the neuter to heal, and give them minimum space so they can't stretch and loosen their stitches, use newspaper and hay as bedding. Offer lots of hay.
Restrict one of them into the hutch and one of them in the run, if you haven't got accommodation for both separately.
:wave:

11 wks and 2 days (approximately) I won't lie to you, I got them from a breeder though next time will be getting from a rescue. What could I use?! :?

I find it sad that the breeder didn't give you better advice- that's not your fault, it just shows their ignorance (and don't worry about getting from a breeder, many have done it and would do different now, but some of my most cracking bunnies came from breeders, I wouldn't do it now, but I wouldn't have changed them for the world).

You may just be ok if you separate them. Chances are the girl is too young to be spayed, but the boy can be neutered and then they will have to be separate for 6-8 weeks.

Coudl you get a puppy pen and have one inside? If you have a double tier htuch, can you have one up, one down until you get something more permanent sorted?

You're going to need to get something that you can use for many weeks because they can't go back to together for a while (and, as much as I hate to say it, may not rebond by the time they are both adult and fixed).

Coudl you get a puppy pen and have one inside? If you have a double tier htuch, can you have one up, one down until you get something more permanent sorted?

Unfortunately, do not have a puppy pen as only pets I've had have been 1 cat, 1 10 wk old bunny (both at the bridge now :( ) so no puppy pen. Bit worried about the coldness of the one in the run,Whitehood. :?

I think you're right to be concerned about the one left in the run.

Whereabouts are you? Is there anyone you could borrow anything from? Hopefully tomorrow you can get something more permanent from the suggestions I gave above.

The weather is getting warmer, but after the neuter he will be needed to be kept warm.
So put loads of hay and newspaper in side, maybe a vetbed.?

Back