• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yet another litter training question!

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

I have 2 rabbits. My first rabbit Jasper took to litter training no problem but my 2nd rabbit Jessica struggles to get the idea.

They have a 2 storey cage with 3 big corner litter trays which she does use. She also wees in the cage outside the litter trays which is forgiveable but not ideal. The problem is she insists on weeing around the outside of the cage.

When we are around and we get the feeling she is about to we usher her into her litter tray and give her a treat which seems to work well, a little pat in the right direction and she sits in it, waits for her treat and has a wee. Problem is we will get up on a morning or in from work and there will be wee around the cage.

The litter trays are lined with newspaper and hay. I obviously clean up the wee outside the cage, although i just read using white vinegar will help eliminate the smell so ill try that.

I've taken other advice and put poops and mopped up wee in the litter tray.

She has been spayed but only 6 weeks or so ago so perhaps there are still hormones kicking around. How long before we can expect results?

We have been patient but getting sick of it now. I think the space is a problem as they are free range but id find it difficult to restrict them now, especially as Jasper is very well behaved and we cant lock her in or he wont be able to come and go.

Any ideas that we havent tried?

First try eliminating the smell with white vinegar, so she'll forget she used to pee there and might start using the litter tray only.
But if that doesn't work, you might want to try getting a bigger litter tray so the tray will cover up the space for the present litter tray and the space around it.
o_O You could also try and put hay in the litter tray, she might start pooing and peeing whilst eating hay, then she'll get the hang of it.
:wave:

Thanks,

Yeah i put hay in the litter tray and the litter trays pretty much cover the whole bottom floor so cant really make them any bigger. We are trying the white vinager thing. We have started putting their food and water bowls where she keeps weeing and that his helping. Only a couple of mishaps this weekend so its improved.

I might have to keep her in the cage if it doesnt improve until she gets the hang of it.

P.s our rabbits look the same ha

Thanks,

Yeah i put hay in the litter tray and the litter trays pretty much cover the whole bottom floor so cant really make them any bigger. We are trying the white vinager thing. We have started putting their food and water bowls where she keeps weeing and that his helping. Only a couple of mishaps this weekend so its improved.

I might have to keep her in the cage if it doesnt improve until she gets the hang of it.

P.s our rabbits look the same ha
:lol:
:love:

Back