• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UPDATED:Bathing a rabbit- back from vets

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
Following on from Matildas mucky back end after pregnancy, ive noticed its gone hard and clumped on her back end!

she is just not cleaning herself!!!

how do u go about bathing her safetly!

I think im going to take her back to the vets soon, i think the hugee baby has caused some damage!

will bathing her affect the scent of her and affect the way she reacts with the baby! x

Last edited:
Ummm...no advice but wanted to bump!

Sky-O's good with baby stuff, I'd say try to wash her bum only, using just warm water.

:wave:

I'd only wash her bottom end as well...

After consulting with your vet! Give them a ring and have a chat and then get an appointment too.

xx

Following on from Matildas mucky back end after pregnancy, ive noticed its gone hard and clumped on her back end!

she is just not cleaning herself!!!

how do u go about bathing her safetly!

I think im going to take her back to the vets soon, i think the hugee baby has caused some damage!

will bathing her affect the scent of her and affect the way she reacts with the baby! x

I'm going to sound disgusting, but can you get a picture of her back end at all please so we can see and advise further?

If she's really that bad, tehres something VERY wrong. She needs to see a vet ASAP.

ETA: do not bath a bunny unless you know what you are doing. You could do a lot more harm than good, especially if she's nursing.

Last edited:
I will try and get a pic but shes not very willing lol!

and i took her to the vets about 2 or 3 days after she gave birth vet said all was fine, i think its where shes not been cleaning its all gone horrid!

I will try and get a pic but shes not very willing lol!

and i took her to the vets about 2 or 3 days after she gave birth vet said all was fine, i think its where shes not been cleaning its all gone horrid!

I think you really need to get her back to the vets.

It could have got A LOT worse than it was then. if its gone all manky, she could suffer from flystrike anytime soon, it could be a relapse of her insides thats gone necrotic.

I'm really worried for her. :(

Just try and take a pic of what you can :wave:

Maybe a damp flannel would be less stressful than being immersed or jugged xx

rubbish pic she wudnt stay still! its not reli square on more off to the side pic, the yelloe i think is pee, cos the huge baby damaged her bladder! i think she cud be incontinant!!

but she is still doing perfectly formed truffles!!!

216753_2012209783523_1192116864_2460362_7989813_n.jpg

rubbish pic she wudnt stay still! its not reli square on more off to the side pic, the yelloe i think is pee, cos the huge baby damaged her bladder! i think she cud be incontinant!!

but she is still doing perfectly formed truffles!!!

216753_2012209783523_1192116864_2460362_7989813_n.jpg

Seriously. That is WRONG. :cry:

That bunny needs to see a bunny savvy vet to be thoroughly checked.

She could have burnt scolded skin under that sopping wet fur :cry:

So she has a 'possibly damaged bladder' and your vet says its okay to just 'leave her' like that?

Please Please take her to another rabbit savvy vet, as yours clearly is NOT.

As I said before, you need a better vet.

Are you sure that's urine and not some sort of fluid from the uterus?

She is at such high risk right now, in a variety of ways.

Also, I would suggest not bathing because she is nursing, and also because you don't know what it is, and you don't know whether the bathing and the additional stress may put her into shock, which would likely be too much for her to cope with.

Quite simply, she needs a vet.

bare in mind it hasn't been cleaned in a while! as i didnt wanna start washing her whilst she was with the baby etc!

thts why i want to bath her and clean her up!

the vet said the discharge is normal after birth, wilst the uturus empties itself etc

and i am thinking bladder damage the vet did loads of tests and all fine, no infections, or temp etc!

I took her to the local vets who are really good!

its not sobbin wet its all dry!

As I said before, you need a better vet.

Are you sure that's urine and not some sort of fluid from the uterus?

She is at such high risk right now, in a variety of ways.

Also, I would suggest not bathing because she is nursing, and also because you don't know what it is, and you don't know whether the bathing and the additional stress may put her into shock, which would likely be too much for her to cope with.

Quite simply, she needs a vet.

im not sure its urine! the vet said she could have discharge from the uturus up to 2 weeks after,

but also Matilda is not cleaning herself! havn't seen her clean herself in ages

she is fine in herself, eating and drinking loads, shes spent the whole afternoon raciingg around the landing like a loon

im not sure its urine! the vet said she could have discharge from the uturus up to 2 weeks after,

but also Matilda is not cleaning herself! havn't seen her clean herself in ages

she is fine in herself, eating and drinking loads, shes spent the whole afternoon raciingg around the landing like a loon

Previously you said that your vet said it was ok for up to one week.

That said, I disagree that its normal. It may happen, but its not common. The only rabbit I had who had it had pyometra and died.

Its totally your choice whether your choose to follow the advice given or not, I just couldn't not post because I wouldn't want to not post and for her to suffer. This way, if I post, then its not my responsibility and I have done all I can.

I hope she is ok. :)

Previously you said that your vet said it was ok for up to one week.

That said, I disagree that its normal. It may happen, but its not common. The only rabbit I had who had it had pyometra and died.

Its totally your choice whether your choose to follow the advice given or not, I just couldn't not post because I wouldn't want to not post and for her to suffer. This way, if I post, then its not my responsibility and I have done all I can.

I hope she is ok. :)

I will ask my mum when she gets home if she can go but omg she is liable to flip!! cos my brother just stole 25 pound from her, so yh she is not in te best of moods right now! and wot with the vet saying all is well etc,

should I attempt to clean her abit with a cloth and warm water? x

my vets clean my buns up at the back end if required and shave any fur that is in the way and ask me to apply sudocream. I'd see a vets and ask them to clean up and check for underlying problems.

Advice: See a vet about this :) xx

p.s If your not sure it's urine- get her to the vets as an emergency! I wouldn't wait if it's relating to pregnancy or you may loose your bun.

my vets clean my buns up at the back end if required and shave any fur that is in the way and ask me to apply sudocream. I'd see a vets and ask them to clean up and check for underlying problems.

Advice: See a vet about this :) xx

oo oki so if i leave her as she is hopefully the vet will clean it! just gotta pray its not the same vet as last time!!

oo oki so if i leave her as she is hopefully the vet will clean it! just gotta pray its not the same vet as last time!!

Yes, just ask them to do a clean up- it's less stressful for the bunny in my view having a vet who is used to doing this. If the vets no good, shop around for sure :) But no- no point you cleaning her up- you need the vet to see what is wrong.

Just get a vets appointment. Its YOUR responsibility.

We've all given you the advice you asked for / need. Its now your choice to take that onboard or not. We have Matilda's Welfare in our minds when we post.

I have a clear conscience.

I pray you do whats best. Hope she gets on okay.

Yes, just ask them to do a clean up- it's less stressful for the bunny in my view having a vet who is used to doing this. If the vets no good, shop around for sure :) But no- no point you cleaning her up- you need the vet to see what is wrong.

there are loads of different vets in the practice afew nice ones and some her like look down on you as if to say bad animal owner!!

Back