• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping hay in the cage

lizzyjm

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone! Last night I had a big clean out of the buns' dog crate/pen and the rest of the hallway. As always there's a huge amount of hay that falls out the back of the hay rack and out the back of the crate. It's up against the wall but with the skirting board, there's a gap which gets gets filled up with hay. I tried putting some cardboard down there but it doesn't fill the gap and also gets chewed. Last night I put a couple of storage box lids down there but there's still a gap. It wastes so much expensive hay and also makes them frustrated because they can't get to it.

Ideally, I'd have a metal panel or something that fixes to the cage so no hay can get out at all and won't be chewed but I haven't seen anything like this.

Has anyone else managed to solve a similar problem?

Even maybe a new hay rack that is closed off at the back might help a bit.

Maybe forget the hay rack idea... I've never had one... Don't like them.

My buns get all their hay in either food storage boxes/litter trays/or 64L storage boxes. :)

They won't eat it any other way unfortunately. The rack is over a storage box litter tray but anything that falls in there gets left.

I always end up binning a bundle of hay that doesn't get eaten. I was putting it in the poo trays. But I stopped as Jacob was eating it and I thought eww you've pooed and weed on that!

Sorry that doesn't answer your Question. :lol:
All I know is hay gets everywhere round here, I seem to spend alot of time sweeping up.

Thanks, the ikea bag holder could work, though my nearest ikea isn't that near! I could have a look for something similar on ebay perhaps.

I'd worry with the hanging basket that they'd just jump in it, poop and then refuse to eat the hay!

Back