• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Too much grass?

minilops_99

Young Bun
I've let my baby bunny on the grass for the first time today and she seems to have developed a runny bum whilst being out there. Could the grass have upset her stomach if she isn't used to it?

yes, too much grass when not used to it can cause tummy upsets and even gut stasis. I would remove her from the grass immediately and keep a close eye on her. If she starts to refuse normal food and hay, take her to a vet.

grass should always be introduced slowly and gradually.

We think she is about 10 weeks. It's more sticky than runny. She's just eaten a few pellets so Ive brought her back inside and going to keep a close eye her! I only noticed because she was shaking a bit so I picked her up for a cuddle.

We think she is about 10 weeks. It's more sticky than runny. She's just eaten a few pellets so Ive brought her back inside and going to keep a close eye her! I only noticed because she was shaking a bit so I picked her up for a cuddle.

If she hadn't seen it before, she's probably had too much. This time of year is bad to introduce babies to grass, as spring grass is so rich.

Take her inside and make sure she eats plenty of hay. If the sticky poops continue, get her to a vet. Bunnys can unfortunately die at this young age from having too much grass if they've never had it before :(

At this time of year (Spring) and CERTAINLY following this sudden heat wave - the grass will be shooting VERY quickly and will be very high in sugars which can cause an acute dysbiosis in a rabbit, no matter how use to grass they are. In a baby bun with an immature gut and not yet stable caecum it can wreak havoc. She really needs to see a vet just to make sure she is well hydrated enough, and just hay and pellets (if she has these) if not just hay for the next few days, no grass, and no veg.

At this time of year (Spring) and CERTAINLY following this sudden heat wave - the grass will be shooting VERY quickly and will be very high in sugars which can cause an acute dysbiosis in a rabbit, no matter how use to grass they are. In a baby bun with an immature gut and not yet stable caecum it can wreak havoc. She really needs to see a vet just to make sure she is well hydrated enough, and just hay and pellets (if she has these) if not just hay for the next few days, no grass, and no veg.

:thumb:

I was waiting for someone like you to show up PL :)

Back