• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

buzz's hocks are bleeding

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Really badly...

He's out in the garden. Is he likely to catch an infection?

What can I do for him? I've taken all the usual precautions for his hocks.

does he have sore hocks currently?

Personally, I would keep him in a very clean environment on clean hay/straw and soft litter (such as Megazorb) to reduce risk of infection. I wouldn't allow him on grass or concrete either.

Is the bleeding ongoing ? If so this is a medical emergency and you need to get him to a Vet stat.

If the bleeding has stopped then a Vet check is still needed as, yes, there is potential for infection to set in once the skin has broken down.

thank you for replying... yes I've been aware of his sore hocks and have taken a few precautions and measures the vet suggested like the megazorb, clean surfaces and using vaseline on it. The vet said it was the way he moved which gave him sore hocks.

Anyway... the bleeding as stopped now, there's just potato prints of blood all over the hay and the floor :( I need to get near him and him let me turn him over to see exactly what's going on, then I'll try and take him to the vets.

My poor bubba

Be very careful, Peanuts problems started I think because he got an infection in his hocks. x

When Pickle's hocks bled my vet prescribed antibiotics and pain relief. I can't quite remember, but I *think* the course needs to be longer than a week to make sure there is no infection and the skin can heal properly, maybe ask the vet this?:? Hope Buzz will be ok xx

I've found vet bed good if the problem is mobility related :wave:

Hay can be a bit risky for buns with mobility problems because they tend to shuffle and hay can get wrapped around their legs.

I swear by rubber matting & vet bed.

I would def go to vets if bleeding though. Jamie's had to be bandaged, & were a mess for months. They healed up really well then though

Bunzle has sore hocks cos he's lazy on his back feet - he's only had a bit of redness and bleeding though, and sudocrem sorted it within a few days :)

Well we've been to the vet and vet has said it's not infected but it's very black and is close to his bone. My poor buzzle. She also said it was incurable and the only thing I could do Is put sudocream in his back feet and 2 little tight socks on them to stop him licking it off. I use vet bed anyway, and hay and the hay is on newspaper. I also have metacam to give him as and when.

She has told me that I should check it twice a day and if it goes at all pussy/dischargey I should bring him back for a course of anti-bios.

My pour buzzle :(

Well we've been to the vet and vet has said it's not infected but it's very black and is close to his bone. My poor buzzle. She also said it was incurable and the only thing I could do Is put sudocream in his back feet and 2 little tight socks on them to stop him licking it off. I use vet bed anyway, and hay and the hay is on newspaper. I also have metacam to give him as and when.

She has told me that I should check it twice a day and if it goes at all pussy/dischargey I should bring him back for a course of anti-bios.

My pour buzzle :(

I took one of my house rabbits to Swindon and I never noticed he has small tender spots on his hocks. I think its the carpet. Ive put sheeting down over the carpet. As you vet said, it could be the way he is walking, but could the carpet be aggravating him.

Back