• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO dental, stasis, gut slowdown bunny owners

nessar

Warren Veteran
I really need some help/advice.

This is in regard to this thread:http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280064 but noone was replying and I need help!

Basically, Barney stopped eating hay properly Tuesday, so Wednesday on advice from people here (thankyou!:wave:) he had a dental exam and xray done under GA.

He had tiny spurs which were dealt with, no problems with tooth roots. He also had metacam and a gut stimulant. Vet wasnt sure why he had stopped eating, as the spurs were tiny and shouldnt have affected him that much, if at all at that stage.

He wasnt drinking at first but is now. He is eating hay again, but only about a quarter of the amount he was. His poos are small, dark, hard and not crumbly. Why isnt he eating properly again? Is this normal after a dental?

I dont know what to or think about this... I'm guessing he is still having a gut slowdown? HELP

edit: just to add throughout all this he hasnt lost interest in pellets, and will eat greens okay but not with as much enthusiasm as usual.

I really need some help/advice.

This is in regard to this thread:http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280064 but noone was replying and I need help!

Basically, Barney stopped eating hay properly Tuesday, so Wednesday on advice from people here (thankyou!:wave:) he had a dental exam and xray done under GA.

He had tiny spurs which were dealt with, no problems with tooth roots. He also had metacam and a gut stimulant. Vet wasnt sure why he had stopped eating, as the spurs were tiny and shouldnt have affected him that much, if at all at that stage.

He wasnt drinking at first but is now. He is eating hay again, but only about a quarter of the amount he was. His poos are small, dark, hard and not crumbly. Why isnt he eating properly again? Is this normal after a dental?

I dont know what to or think about this... I'm guessing he is still having a gut slowdown? HELP

When did he last have metacam?

His mouth will probably still be very sore from the dental, so it might be worth asking for some metacam to bring home?

Small Dark Hard poops can be from slow gut, and i'd expect them. Very similar to Gingers, after both her GA's :wave:

When did he last have metacam?

His mouth will probably still be very sore from the dental, so it might be worth asking for some metacam to bring home?

Small Dark Hard poops can be from slow gut, and i'd expect them. Very similar to Gingers, after both her GA's :wave:

He was just given an injection after the dental. Do you normally get some to take home too?

How long does it usually take Ginger to get back to normal?

He was just given an injection after the dental. Do you normally get some to take home too?

How long does it usually take Ginger to get back to normal?

I wouldnt use Ginger as a reference model, she's not normal :lol:

I would expect to see an improvement in ~3-5 days, PERSONALLY.

Ginger can't have metacam, due to her issues really, so no, i dont have any at home.

Sorry, what a waste of time i am :/

I wouldnt use Ginger as a reference model, she's not normal :lol:

I would expect to see an improvement in ~3-5 days, PERSONALLY.

Ginger can't have metacam, due to her issues really, so no, i dont have any at home.

Sorry, what a waste of time i am :/

Thanks Gray, no I'm grateful for any help with this. I didnt realise poor Ginger couldnt have metacam, I'm guessing because of her kidneys? Metacam ruined my dogs kidneys (but he was really old so it didnt matter so much).

So I'm guessing from your experiences that the pain from a dental (are they really that bad?!) goes around day 5 after.

Will Barney nom apple sticks?

Yep, he's having 2 a day but I'm sure he would eat more. He's not quite as enthusiastic as in he takes a little longer than usual to eat them, but he still loves them.

Are you thinking I should maybe feed more, for the fibre?

My rabbit is given gut stimulants and metacam for at least a week after a dental. She is slowly weaned off meds after about three weeks. She is rather delicate so that may be why its so long but I would expect some meds to be given at home for a week after a dental.

Yep, he's having 2 a day but I'm sure he would eat more. He's not quite as enthusiastic as in he takes a little longer than usual to eat them, but he still loves them.

Are you thinking I should maybe feed more, for the fibre?

I think if he likes them and is managing them they may go some way to replace his hay intake? Certainly won't do him any harm & yes full of fibre plus good for teefs :D

Thanks Gray, no I'm grateful for any help with this. I didnt realise poor Ginger couldnt have metacam, I'm guessing because of her kidneys? Metacam ruined my dogs kidneys (but he was really old so it didnt matter so much).

So I'm guessing from your experiences that the pain from a dental (are they really that bad?!) goes around day 5 after.

From what i've read on here, 1-2 days for eating to really get back up to speed, then it improves from there.

And yes, Ginger can't have metacam due to kidneys :wave:

And yes, i believe the pain from a dental can be attrocious.

eric sometimes picks up slowly after a dental - like last time. i took him back for more gut stimulant, fluids and pain relief and also brought home some metacam which i geve him for a couple of days afterwards.

i'd say he took about 5 days this time to become more 'normal' (i slept downstairs with him for 3 of those:oops:).

Hope Barney picks up soon. :wave: It must be difficult for buns after a dental, as they will normally have been a bit off food before the dental, then wake up with a sore mouth when the metacam wear off.

Oh dear I didnt realise the pain from it would be that bad.

I havent been so far as to not discourage him from eating his hay, but do you think I should maybe up his veg intake a lot for a few days? He's got a good stomach so I dont think it would cause issues there.

He manages grass but my pot is nearly bare now, and I dont trust the garden which is mainly unidentified plants anyway, and the previous tenant had a dog. He's not too bad with readigrass, if I give him say 3 handfuls a day do you think the fibre benefits would outweigh the calcium disadvantages?

I just gave him 2 apple sticks, but has left the last half of one, I think it was a bit too much for him.

I think I'll ring the vets and ask if I come in to evening surgery could I have some metacam.

:shock: Heather must have a mouth made of steel or something!

When she has her dentals the vets give her painkillers at the vets and thats it. As soon as shes home she same as normal, bouncing around, practically yanks the pellets out your hand to eat them, no trouble what-so-ever :?

Went to the vets this evening, she didnt want to give him extra painkillers but gave him an injection of metachloclamide (sp) or something to get his gut moving. I also got fibreplex and Supreme Science Recovery to get more fibre and probiotics into him and last the weekend. I'm to take him back Monday if he's not eating more.

eta- she also told me she examined Barney's xray this morning which I thought was a bit weird as it was done Wednesday and the vet then (different one) looked at it then. She said everything was fine though.

Last edited:
Update

An update....

The fibre suplements seem to be helping, poops are a bit bigger and theres a few more of them, but he's still not eating his hay a lot. He's having maybe a handful a day now. And seeing as he's 4kg thats nowhere near enough.

He's also been very sleepy. But oddly, the time when he has been awake I have had a couple of small binkies :shock: I havent had any proper ones for months. I imagine the extra fibre that he doesnt have to chew is making him feel better.

I dont know whether to take him back to the vets tomorrow as I will be out of the fibre supplements - thoughts?

Back