• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do Rabbits Mourn for there friends

Bluexx

Young Bun
Hi

I have just had to have my Rabbit put to sleep this afternoon. It was an awful decision to make, but he had been ill for quite sometime.
He lived with my other Rabbit Coco. They were like soul mates, they wouldn't leave each others side, she looked after him, they would groom each other, and cuddle up to each other all the time. I think she could tell he was ill.
She is going to be really upset. Will she mourn for him do you think, or will she just get on with life.
I have 2 other rabbits, one of them is her son. I was thinking about maybe bonding thoughs 2 together so she has company again. I know its not easy to bond a pair of rabbits, but would she be happier do you think. Thanks

My Toffee Mourn Harvey when he left for the bridge :(
It was sad to see and we spent as much time with him as possible till we got the girls and bonded him to them. He was so much happier once he was rebonded. :)

So sorry to hear of your loss :( Binky free xx

I'm sure Daisy mourned Fluffy-she even developed bald patches which I now think were due to stress :(

I'm sorry you lost your bunny today.

Did your girl get to see the body of her partner?

I think they can mourn. Some for a specific rabbit, others for companionship. Also, if the rabbit has just 'disappeared' they can be confused and not uderstand what has happened, which can also make life difficult for them.

Are her and her son both spayed/neutered?

If so, then bonding them would be a good option (or even bonding all your rabbits, if all spayed/neutered into a trio). Before doing this do a good lot of research and use the search function on the forum. There is a lot of good advice around on here about that.

Last edited:
Fishcake got to see Haggis when she died, and he didn't mourn her at all.

In fact he seems quite happy being on his own and we have tried to bond him with a couple of buns and he wouldn't have it.

No she didnt see his body. I totally agree that she could be confused wondering where Archie her mate has gone.
All my Rabbits are spayed and neutered. So I think i will try and bond mother and son together.
Will they remember that they are mother and son.

No she didnt see his body. I totally agree that she could be confused wondering where Archie her mate has gone.
All my Rabbits are spayed and neutered. So I think i will try and bond mother and son together.
Will they remember that they are mother and son.

They might, but probably won't. There is loads of great information on this forum about bonding. The basics are:
Make sure you have a neutral space that neither of them has been in. You can clean and neutralised a space with white vinegar and warm water. :)
First of all you want a small space, only a couple of foot wide so that they have to interact and can't run away from each other. And then slowly you can increase their space.
And they will probably have a few scuffles, like a bit of chasing or fur pulling, but if they fight properly you'll have to separate them.

I hope you can bond them because she will be so much happier with a friend. :wave:

Fishcake got to see Haggis when she died, and he didn't mourn her at all.

In fact he seems quite happy being on his own and we have tried to bond him with a couple of buns and he wouldn't have it.

I'm so glad you've said this. Ollie was definitely lonely when he lost his brother and bonded with Penny straight away.

When she became poorly she had to be brought indoors. One day when she seemed brighter we put her out on the lawn and he was overjoyed to see her, running round and round in circles.

Since we lost her a few weeks ago, he has enjoyed sniffing anything with her smell on it, but other than that seems happy on his own and we've had one failed bonding so far, when I thought he'd be so pleased to have another bunny for company.

Bluexx, I am so sorry for your loss :cry: Its so hard while you're grieving but got another bunny's best interest to think about. Whatever you do I hope it all works out.

My oldest rabbit Wolfgang has lost two partners, one after only a few months and another after three years. The first time, he did seem to lose interest in life and after being a very busy boy, tended to sit in the hutch in the bed part quite a lot. He was alone for a couple of months until we located another partner for him. His second partner Gloria was with him for three years and when she died, again he missed the company. He is not bonded with a male bunny Felix and seems much happier.

I think that rabbits definitely notice that their companion has gone. I think the level of their grief depends on their connection with their partner. Some rabbits may experience something akin to human grief and others might just miss the company and be bored. Some pine and others are just lonely.

I asked the Vets to put Gizmo in with Jazz when Jazz died, so Gizmo 'understood' that his friend was gone :( He still looked sad until bonded with Jack, they were bonded for 8 months before giz attacked Jack and they were seperated :( Now he looks sad but won't take Jack back and I'm not allowed anymore rabbits.

Thankyou everyone for your kind comments.
Coco seems okay this morning, she is ripping up newspaper and that. She is eating. I know she misses Archie, you can see it in her eyes, she is very confused I think.
Its awful for both of us, I miss him terribly to, I feel really numb today, he was such a lovely rabbit, so friendly and loving.
I think it will take time for both of us, but I will try and bond her with my other rabbit Zac.
Thanks everyone.

Sorry about the loss of your bunny. When Scrumpie died last year he was with his partner Splodge. When I came into the room she came running to see me and seemed to be oblivious that he was laid there. However I think she knew he was ill as she started getting bald patches and scabby skin before he died. I kept her alone for a couple of weeks and you could tell that she was mourning him. When she perked up a bit then I knew it was time to get her a new husbun.
Sending big hugs your way x

Hi

I have just had to have my Rabbit put to sleep this afternoon. It was an awful decision to make, but he had been ill for quite sometime.
He lived with my other Rabbit Coco. They were like soul mates, they wouldn't leave each others side, she looked after him, they would groom each other, and cuddle up to each other all the time. I think she could tell he was ill.
She is going to be really upset. Will she mourn for him do you think, or will she just get on with life.
I have 2 other rabbits, one of them is her son. I was thinking about maybe bonding thoughs 2 together so she has company again. I know its not easy to bond a pair of rabbits, but would she be happier do you think. Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear that. I had one of my beutiful boys PTS in the autumn, and his brother is still mourning him. :( I do think it's a good idea to bond your remaining 3 together. Check out the bonding section for some useful tips.

Back