• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits with 3 legs go up and down ramps?

I have had three bunnies with three legs. One (Trio now at the bridge) was very disabled and scooted about on his bum (god love him :love:). Then there was Bigwig (also at the bridge) who was more mobile than my 4 legged buns and could jump higher and climb better than my 4 legged buns, he would have managed great. My big frenchie x english lop Riley is very mobile on his three legs, but is a big boy so i think he is too big and clumsy for a ramp, but more due to his breed.

So, in simple terms, it depends on the rabbit and the severity of the disability.

Florence (right hind full amputation) could do ramps, steps, 3ft jumps (onto a plant pot etc), run, hop, etc etc etc - and that was despite being hutched fpr a year in cramped conditions immediately after op. and having no physiotherapy (before she came to us).

Look at this!!

This was my 3 legged noodle about a month after her op when we let her out of the cage!

And this is her now!

Do you see a difference with any other bun?

She can do everything they can.

The only thing is she gets tired quickly and has to rest a lot. And I gave her a one story hutch so that she didnt over use it because they are prone to arthiritus in the remaining leg... I didnt want her moving up and down ramps long term.

Hope it helps
JEm

Back