• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sam not eating again :-(

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
Sam hasnt been happy for a few days. Hes withdrawn from the other rabbits and just sits huddled up. On Tuesday I noticed he wasnt eating so I took him to the vets and they said to put him back on the metaclopramide and zantac and liquid food. Last night he ate a couple of carrot sticks. This morning he had a drink of water and another carrot stick and some dandelion leaves and chewed on the roots but since then - nothing. I put him out in the run with the others as I thought it might stimulate him but he dosnt want to know.
I tried giving him some recovery half an hour ago but he wouldnt swallow it like he normally does.
I rang the vets and he said bring him back in tomorrow if theres no change.

Sorry to hear he's not well :(

Don't know if its any help but our vet suggested puree'd carrot and apple which was easy to eat and smelled nice. Did this by using a really fine grater. Maybe worth a go?

Let everyone know how he gets on.

They dont know why hes stopped eating. Yes, I have given him metacam aswell but didnt seem to do anything.
He has eaten a little bit of hay and some spring greens this afternoon. I've had him in the house the past couple of nights but I've put him back out with the others tonight. Do you think its too soon? Should I keep him in the house until hes fully recovered? I didnt like to seperate him from the others for too long. Hes been out in the run today and to start with he just kept away from the others but this evening he was cuddled up to them and eating abit of hay (still not touching pellets). So, I thought it might be best to keep him with them.
Have I done the right thing?
Hes been in the summer house all winter so has been free to come and go from the hutch and run round the summer house. He hasnt been very happy since he went back into the hutch outside. I shut it up each night for obvious reasons. So I dont know if thats why hes stopped eating?

If he seems to have 'picked up' and started eating a little after being back with his friends then that's a good sign. Do you have a snugglesafe (heat pad) that you can put in with him? Lots of vibes xx

Yes he seems to be on the mend. Eating abit of hay and dandelions and taking interest in the others which is good. Its the second time hes done this since January. I'm not sure why he does it....:?

One of mine has had two bouts and we don't know why but nowadays as soon as we suspect it we give him a small dose of infacol which seems to do the trick

Back