• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance for rabbits?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser's policy with Petplan is due for renewal, and I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons. He had one episode of stasis last year, and I received back the cost (excluding the £50 excess). Does this mean he won't be covered for stasis if he has it again ... and what about dental treatment - will the fact I was concerned enough to send him for an x-ray affect future cover. I've heard that some insurers regard rabbits as so likely to have teeth trouble that they don't pay out for it.

Any views/experiences would be appreciated.

AFAIK if you renew he will still be covered for statis. I think it depends on the policy about dentals!

Yes, you should still be covered, you might not even have to pay excess if the same problems crop up again, as long as you renew straight away so it's like a rolling contract. I'd double check with them though :wave:

If I just had one or 2 bunnies I would definitely insure them but it just isn't worth it for my fleet!

With regard to dentals they won't cover for dentals as "the majority of rabbits will need their teeth burring" :roll: they will pay once as a good will gesture though. They will pay for other dental procedures eg abcess treatment, they pay for my metacam too if it's prescribed for dental pain, it's just the actual burring they won't cover.

Definately continue the cover. As long as the condition started after your initial insurance date and you have kept the insurance since then you should be okay. As said above they don't cover the actual burring or trimming of teeth but they should cover other dental problems if they have regular dental examinations.

Thanks for replies. Have also spoken to Spenser's vet, and I will definitely be continuing the policy. :)

Back