• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Many bunnies lost around the age of 5-6?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I saw someone who is knowledgable on another forum saying that many bunnies are lost at the age of around 5-6.

I know obivously you can get much older bunnies so am not thinking of disproving what she said, but I did just wonder what other people's views were on this, especially those with many bunnies.

I've lost one at 2, and one at 4, so not really sure.

These were both when i was very young and knew absolutely nothing.

I've had 5 bunnies before these two and the oldest was 6. The others were either 4 or 5 I think, but they were all before I found this site and learnt lots of new things :?

I'm not sure about that. I reckon the "average" might be somewhere in that region, but I think that's probably because many live till 8+ and many die when they are young, so it drags the average down to about 5. Three of my four are over 7 and Santa was also 7+ when she died.

Well ive lost 3 before (when i was young) daisy was about 4 months old and died the day after we got her, Rosie was 5 when shie died and fluffy was 7. My old bunny Sooty is still living with my mum and is 11 years old this year

Well I hope it aint true as most of mine are 5-6 ...............

TBH I think it's a rather sweeping statement, there are too many variables to make it a reliable reference xx

giant rabbits live to 5/6 but little ones liver longer i was told up to 15y i have lost
1 at 2y
1 at 3y
1 at 6y
2 at 8y
1 at 10y
1 at 11y

Well I hope it aint true as most of mine are 5-6 ...............

TBH I think it's a rather sweeping statement, there are too many variables to make it a reliable reference xx

Yes, this is where I sort of sit, with all of it. My 'originals' are now all technically middleaged- well, some of them arriving at it in two months.

I was thinking back into the past before spaying and neutering and think many of mine were probably lost around 5-6. Wonder if that is a reflection on what she said.

My first two bunnies lived to 7 and a half and 9 years of age. Nancy was 4 or 5. Sunshine is now 7 or 8.

Also saw a thread on here about health or age of loppy ears versus pointy earred bunnies and the general consensus was that pointy earred bunnies lived longer. Nancy was lop.

I wonder if certain age-related illness start to emerge in rabbits at around that age? Kind of like how humans often start to suffer from age-related illnesses like heart disease, etc, in middle-age?

I wonder if certain age-related illness start to emerge in rabbits at around that age? Kind of like how humans often start to suffer from age-related illnesses like heart disease, etc, in middle-age?

I think this is why too.

I have lost a few at 5-6 age.

When I was younger, I had a few buns.
One died at aged 2 (because a dog managed to get into her carrier at my Aunt's and one at Aged 4
Pumpkin died at aged 14 months but that was because of an abscess.
Dexie is now over a year and Pumpkin 2 almost is. I'm hoping they live beyond 5/6 tbh... and I'm sure they will but only because of this forum :D

Rabbits that I had years ago lived to between 5 - 7 years (they always had space but the diet wasn't so good on the hay front).

My lovely Penny was estimated as 4, but could have been older (and she hadn't had an easy life).

Reading what others have said, I guess its the average based on some dying very young and others living to a ripe old age.

Back