• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits with only one functioning kidney

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Are there any bunny owners out there who have buns with only one working kidney?

If so have you had bloods done to see how much it has affected overall kidney function?

I know humans can manage well on one kidney so was wondering if it is similar for rabbits or whether it makes a big difference :?

My Pansy only has one kidney. When she was spayed her uterus was abnormal and not fully formed on one side and while doing the spay my vet discovered that she only had one kidney.

It hasn't made any difference to Pansy so far. I've not had any blood tests done as for the time being I've no reason to suspect that it's causing a problem. She's a very healthy girl at present and the biggest of the trio.

If Pansy had to have any anaesthetics in the future, then she would have to be put on a drip as a precaution.

I had my three girls spayed at the same time and Pansy was the quickest to recover, so having only one kidney didn't affect how she coped with the anaesthetic and op, although she was put straight onto a drip as soon as the problem was discovered.

Thanks

Nutmeg has both her kidneys but one is not functioning due to complete calcification. The other hasn't been checked for several years as never had the need.

Now her lower respiratory tract infection is back and is really bad :( The vets wont give more than baytril at the moment due to her kidneys, she also can;t have metacam for the inflammation. But as she is getting worse we are going to hopefully blood test to see how good her kidney function actually is to see if we can use more meds. But she probably will need a chest x-ray too to see how well her lungs are functioning as meds might not actually help at this stage :? She is starting to slightly mouth breath on occassions, but a lot of the time seems quite happy and is still eating well :)

Damson had only one functioning kidney for years (it was totally shrunken and calcified like a small walnut by the time we had it taken out).

He was fine all those years and blood tests showed he was fine after it was out as well.

However after having it removed vaccinations always affected him badly.

Damson had only one functioning kidney for years (it was totally shrunken and calcified like a small walnut by the time we had it taken out).

He was fine all those years and blood tests showed he was fine after it was out as well.

However after having it removed vaccinations always affected him badly.

Thanks. Was he on any meds at all during the time his kidney was calcified?

Rosie had a totally calcified kidney and a working kidney. We don't know how long it had been calcified because we don't know her history, so we don't know how long she used only one kidney. She did eventually die of renal failure though, when her remaining one packed up.

Sue only has half a working kidney. The other one and a half are calcified:( She hasn't had blood tests - I don't think. I know she had an x-ray which is how I know the state of her kidneys. The vet showed me the x-ray and explained it to me. He may have done a blood test before the x-ray. My memory is awful:(

Sue lost a lot of weight which is why I took her to the vet in the first place. He did hint at PTS but Sue wasn't ready. I changed her diet and she put on some weight but now sadly she has lost it again and is very thin. She still kicks when I pick her up, enjoys her noms and snuggles with Dylan (my elderly arthritic bun) so I believe she has a reasonable quality of life. She isn't as active as she was but she must be about five now as she was four when I adopted her from BARC.

Sue isn't on any medication at all. I just so hope she lives to see the summer as she loves going on the grass. During the winter she is on concrete as my garden becomes a swamp.

Sue has had her myxi jab and was absolutely fine. The vet came to me which I think helped enormously as she was saved the stress of travelling and going somewhere scary. She hasn't had her VHD as the vet advised against it.

Last edited:
Thanks. Nutmeg was completely up to date with her vaccs until the breathing problems started as well and was ok with them :)

she has a calicified kidney and pelvis and has had huge bladder stones removed in the past :(

I think we might be fighting a loosing battle with her lungs in such bad shape now :cry:

Nutmeg has been to the vets today. Unfortunately her breathing is so bad that the vet said restraining her for a blood test would probably kill her :(

Listening to her lungs there appears to be little active infection left and her problems are all down to the scarring left from the infections. she will remain on baytril for a while longer and we will just keep her happy for as long as possible. The warm weather has certainly brightened her up for now :)

I hope Nutmeg can remain a happy bunny for a good while to come.

Please give her a nose rub from me. xx

Back