• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training bunnies

Iv never actually litter trained a bunny before, but iv noticed its the latest and more hygenic trend ;)
anywayyy, Im in the process of sorting out my conty giant's new 'home' aka the wendy house with an attached run!
Its carpetted on the inside so im thinking maybe a litter tray, How can I get her used to using one before she gets moved? shes currently got the avairy and shed to run around in so thought I could train her in there first? :D

I started by sweeping their poops up and leaving some in the tray to encourage them to use it, it;s a bit harder with wee, but if its in some sort of litter/straw then put some of that in the tray too.

And if they seem to a favour a particular corner then pop the tray there.

Good luck :wave:

Get a big tray, put litter on the bottom and fill with hay on top! Then place in the corner they like to go in and put all poops in. Clean up any wees in wrong place so they wont use that area again!

Bunny needs to be spayed or neutered. Otherwise you have little chance of being successful.

I've found the best trays are large ones ie. shallow storage boxes, and that's for my small bunnies so for a giant I'd go with the base of an indoor cage or large underbed storage box. Fill it with a litter (I use newspaper or megazorb) and then a very thick layer of hay. Then top up this hay a couple of times a day. Bunnies will eat while they poo and pee. Then the rest of the space needs to be free of hay on the floor otherwise they will be confused.

I found with my lionheads it took a while and Nutmeg still leaves 'presents' sometimes. To begin with she did a lot of poos round the perimeter and some wees. She's a territorial rabbit and was marking her territory. After a few months this subsided and now it's quite rare for her to wee anywhere other than the boxes.

Any poos not in the box sweep up and put in. For wees I use vinegar to remove the scent. I used to mop the floor every few days with vinegar but now I don't as I noticed whenever I mopped she would immediately do a load of new poos, remarking the area. Now I mop it every month or so.

Back