• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Well, that's it

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
All hay sold out.

My place have been excellent and reserved me bales and to the rest of the public they sold out about 2 months ago, so I'm very grateful, but that's it. I got my last delivery today.

Stress!

Eek! :shock:

I got some a week or two ago and they had a huge barn full so I'm hoping it doesn't sell very quickly. :lol::lol:

Me too. I've had to start being super stingy with my hay. No bun has suffered or anything, but I used to be really liberal, but I'm still using a bale every 6 days. Got four bales here now, so time to find some decent hay... somewhere.

I can't tell you that. :p :lol:

It was a different place to my usual (as I stupidly didn't realise they weren't open on a Tuesday :oops:) so I popped into this place on my way back. They're having to buy it in atm as they've run out of their own stuff though so I'm not sure how long they'll be able to get if for.

There doesn't seem to be a shortage in west Yorks. Always get my hay when visiting parents as can't find a decent supplier in Manchester.

Hope you find a solution soon xx

Remind me where you are - we still have hay in Cambridge - though its now £7 a bale - I get through a bale a week plus 2 bales of straw and a huge thing of Aubiose -

Thanks Karen :)

Parsnipbun, I'm in Ipswich. Apparently its very scarce around here. I haven't tried any local places yet, but would rather travel further for a good recommendation than get some manky stuff localy.

ummmmm im gonna sounds sooooooooooooo stoopid but..... whats with the shortage of hay??? :oops: i didnt realise anything was going on. i get mine from p&h, the alfafa stuff :)

ummmmm im gonna sounds sooooooooooooo stoopid but..... whats with the shortage of hay??? :oops: i didnt realise anything was going on. i get mine from p&h, the alfafa stuff :)

The proper farm grown hay struggled to grow last year because of the weather and the high amount of rain and shortage of sun (think that's what they said). They only got two cuts, as opposed to three, and were still recovering from the shortage of the year before.

This time last year they already knew there would be a shortage last summer, but so far they are still debating and say it depends on what weather we get, so I'm hpoing for no shortage this time next year.

Bit off topic but do you feed meadow hay and just top up with alfalfa or do you only feed alfalfa? Alfalfa is very high in calcium and shouldn't be fed freely as calcium can cause problems with stones and sludge.

Tracey we have the same problem locally. My normal farm ran out in January and bought some in which wasn't good so I went elsewhere. They ran out of that too about a month ago I believe.

The farm where I go now is buying in and again it's not great. He's not sure how long he will be able to get any. :-(

(BTW, I have a worried face on whilst typing this):D

Bit off topic but do you feed meadow hay and just top up with alfalfa or do you only feed alfalfa? Alfalfa is very high in calcium and shouldn't be fed freely as calcium can cause problems with stones and sludge.

:shock: huh???? ok one sec, will find the pic of the pack i use so you can tell me if its ok..... im not freaking out.... well maybe a bit..... :oops:

:shock: huh???? ok one sec, will find the pic of the pack i use so you can tell me if its ok..... im not freaking out.... well maybe a bit..... :oops:

If it's Alfalafa King, then don't worry because they pack alsorts of hays not just alfalfa.

Sorry didn't mean to worry you. :(

002-13.jpg

phew think this is ok..... timothy hay by alfafa kings.... thats ok yeah????

Tracey we have the same problem locally. My normal farm ran out in January and bought some in which wasn't good so I went elsewhere. They ran out of that too about a month ago I believe.

The farm where I go now is buying in and again it's not great. He's not sure how long he will be able to get any. :-(

(BTW, I have a worried face on whilst typing this):D

What a nightmare :( I hope your worried face eases once you have stopped typing and thinking about it.

I'm totally hand to mouth with hay too at the moment. Have been reduced to Easy Pack hay but that being said made an emergency run to the farm yesterday and they filled me two bags of thier own hay. I used it today and honestly, it smelt like beans on toast :oops::lol:

It just smelt soooooo good and tasty!! I was ready to eat it myself :oops:

Shame I only have two bags :roll:

Back