• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bluebells savaged berties rump and tail :(

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
poor bertie....i fell asleep at 2am..nikki woke at 3am...and i noticed erties tail looked weird..like it had got even smaller than it was after the vets clipped it last time.
we turned the bright light on..only to see blood on it.....fresh blood.......:(

we coudlnt see any of the fur thatd gone anywhere..and no sign of blood on bluebells chest/mouth. and couldnt say with bertie as hed been trying to lick the blood off.

we trimmed the area as best we could and cleaned it up with cooled boiled water....but still couldnt see exactly what had happened.

i got an emergency appointment at 9.50am this morning....and i took both buns with.

the vet david cut loads of fur away and cleaned up the horrific mess...and then turned bertie around so i could see the actual damage..i gasped out loud..almost threw up on the table:(

before anyone says anyhting...its definately not any of the cats or melrin through the bars..this was a savage bun attack of the frenchie kind.
I am sad to say it was obviously bluebell:( he has horrific deep wounds on his rump above his tail...the tail itself..the bone or cartialage has been exposed and there are three nasty bites..going almost all the way through.

his tail right now consists of a bloody stumpy thing....but at least the bloods gone brown and the bruising purple/blue/black not red.

i know i normally wake up if bertie even changes position...but there have been the odd times from sheer exhaustion that i havent...and 2am to 3am was one of those times.

bluebell kept pestering me...jumping up all over me..nipping my ankle and bum.....and tugging my towel like a tug of war match...and my bedding....she cornered dylan kitty in an old coke box...his and freyas fave toy right now:oops:

she was going to stick her head in and nip him...but he growled sooo loud and long at her..she legged it!!

did bertie and bluebell have a massive fight over the cats.....no fur anywhere..no other injuries:?

could it have been bertie having a seizure biting himself...vet says no...fitting buns usually bite their front paws.....really?!

he said maybe bertie had a seizure and bluebell freaked out and bit him from blind panic or to try and stop him.

whatever the root of the story..theres no pulled out fur...anywhere...and no blood drops anywhere.

bluebell went with bertie to the vets and when they came back her stress levels were higher than his...and she took hours to calm down.

theyve had washes and a few snuggles...but i confess i slept on and off from 2pmish to 4.30pm. Trying to catch some sleep when i can.

the vet gave him an antibiotic shot and said it will not interfere with berties final depocillin jab tomorrow. I have to bathe the wound twice a day with salt water and put vaseline on it to stop the tail stump from drying out.

i have tried taking pics on my phone but it just cannot capture the full extent of his wounds.

the vet said if bluebells overgrooming him like she has been making small clumps of scars on his back...then its a dominance thing...the bunny being washed is the weak one..hope not cos merlin used to wash bertie like crazy all the time:oops:

i cannot open windows etc and risk a fly getting in and laying eggs on berties tail..or leaving poo germs on it.
the vet said....if we dont treat this horrific wound set properly..he will lose his tail and the infection can get into the blood from it.

why bluebell....what were you thinking bun bun:cry:

I hope Bertie does as bunnies tend to do and heals super fast. What a stressful situation for you.

Oh no, not good. I really hope Bertie heals quickly. At least the weather is still cool so you don't need to open the windows. I haven't had any flies in here yet.

Actually now you mention it, I should consider keeping my shut for now.

Hope its not too painful for Bertie.

What alot you have had to deal with lately.

I can't believe that big snuggle monster could be so viscious:( She looked so settled with Bertie when I saw them.

That is really sad as Bertie is such a laid back cuddle bun. He must have been confused and scared that Bluebell could turn on him like that. Are you going to have to separate them as you can't watch them 24/7?

I'm glad I'm not a bunny as I spent so long stroking Bluebell and giving her nose rubs. She is a big bun and I am not surprised she did some serious damage.

Please give Bertie some nose rubs from his Auntie Karen xxxxx

It is strange that there is no fur lying around. :? Perhaps Bluebell isn't the culprit.
Sending lots of vibes for Bertie and hugs for you xxx

i am not convinced it was bluebell either..but if it was..it was prob fear reaction.

i dont care what the vet said..ive seen bertie chewing his tail as he seized...and even after one in the past.

bluebell and him have been loved up as usual..its so weird.

not cat bites or claws..not that ours do that with the buns...merlins not like that..but maybe if bertie scared him fitting...nah..his teefs are waayyy too small to fit the bite marks.

i will never know i guess...but now i worry for him...it looks awful:cry:

:shock: Debbie how awful and what a fright for you and poor Bertie too :cry:

I really hope that poor Bertie heals fast and feels better soon, big hugs for you all xx

p.s. my Lollipop when I was a little girl had no tail and managed fine, I stood on it by mistake as a child and it snapped clean off, she healed no trouble and managed fine with her stump. I'm sure Bertie will be fine too x

Back