• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your buns get bored with one type of hay?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Honey isn't eating as much hay as usual, and I was wondering if she is just bored of it and wants a different one? They currently have meadow hay in their litter tray and green oat hay separate, and Olly is happy as Larry munching away on the meadow hay (although thinking about it, he doesn't seem as keen on the new bag of oat hay as he normally is :?). I know that Honey has tiny spurs on her teeth so she's supposed to eat lots of hay to keep them worn down. She's eating everything else ok apart from carrot, which she's gone off at the moment :?

Yes they can get bored of one type of hay. BUT I would say in the first instance take them to your vet to check out those back teeth spurs as they may need filing down. Once that has been done then you can buy a pack of different hay samples to find the one they like the most to munch.

i usually have about 3 types of hay on the go as mine all seem to prefer different ones.
they are well into the vitapet hay at the moment which comes in 4 types with just plain/camomille/rose petal or dandelion.

i mix this with meadow hay or the 'king' green hay. :?

B&G dont like any hay now except the Meadow & Ings from HayForPets. When i run out, its like the end of the world... :shock:

Yes they can get bored of one type of hay. BUT I would say in the first instance take them to your vet to check out those back teeth spurs as they may need filing down. Once that has been done then you can buy a pack of different hay samples to find the one they like the most to munch.

Yes I will take her when she's settled down from her trauma last weekend. I've already done the hay sample thing, the one they liked best was the oat hay which is why I've been buying it! Am thinking of trying the Ings though as it seems very popular... :?

Oh thats good to know :) I'm definitely going to try the Ings then :)

If it changes your mind at all, dont put all your eggs in one basket :oops: Get a bag of each and try them. B&G now prefer meadow over Ings, whereas last time, it was the other way round :roll:

Back