• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If you consciously decided to let your rabbit have one litter...............

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Can you please just share with us on RU your motivation for this?

Having seen a number of threads recently and also spoken to individuals in my rescue history that think it's a good idea to let a rabbit experience having kits, can anyone who has been through this share with us why you thought this?

Is it because you think it settles her, because you want your children to experience 'what life is about'?

Were you told by someone (breeder/pet shop/rabbit owner/book) that it is a good thing or a nice thing to do?

PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS INTO A SLANGING MATCH BECAUSE I WOULD GENUINELY LIKE TO KNOW FROM THOSE WHO HAVE DELIBERATELY BRED BUNNIES WHY THEY DO IT.

bunbun was a breeder before i got her, but when i asked several vets about spaying and the cost, most of them suggested just letting fluffy have a litter or two also, that it greatly reduces the risk of cancers and reproductive diseases, and would "cost so much less and be less stressful" on the rabbit to do what nature intended.. i then asked the vets if they were going to be the ones who had to rehome all of these baby bunnies..several times each of course, as the children who wanted them while they were cute outgrew them and gave them away..no response:)

I (well my Mum) decided to breed Guinea Pigs when I was 17. No idea that they were in rescues then and I would have tried to dissuade Mum if I did.

I am trying to think of the reasons and TBH it is embarrassing, just, I guess, we thought it would be cute:oops:

Anyway, it didn't work out well for me (in a Daily Mail sense) as I had to hand rear the runt and enjoyed it so much I think it was a contributing factor to me getting pregnant a few months later:shock:

Kept them all too:) (Including my daughter:lol:)

I have done this, and its not something I ever intend to do again.

At the time, when we first bred Flash, it was just to have cute babies. :roll: They would all have been kept. This was before I knew about rabbit rescues, before I was involved in the RSPCA, before I knew anything.

The other litters were after Flash died and they were created and driven on by grief. It was stupid and selfish but I couldn't cope without him, so I tried to bring him back. I was well into a full on breakdown. I did many stupid, ignorant things, and both me and my bunnies paid for my stupidity. Not a day goes by where I don't feel guilt, or regret, or shame, and total self hatred for what I did.

The last litter was done far more responsibly than all the others, and it was my last. Again, still before I knew about rabbit rescues, still before my volunteering days, but I knew more and I had learnt about breeding- primarily because I had stuffed up before. That was my last litter and everything went right. All bunnies kept, all bunnies relatively healthy (although a rogue dental gene showed up). Those babies will be four at the start of June and I've not considered mating anyone since. It's now been just over three years since I got involved in the RSPCA and I have found another way to keep Flash with me, and alive. It doesn't have to be genetically. All my bunnies are spayed/neutered except Wish who is far too vulnerable.

I know I was stupid, and I know I deserve to be hated, so go ahead and do your worst because no one, not any one person could say anything or feel anything, that comes close to the hate I feel for myself.

Last edited:
when i asked several vets about spaying and the cost, most of them suggested just letting fluffy have a litter or two also, that it greatly reduces the risk of cancers and reproductive diseases

This is so sad on so many levels :( Not least because it's just not true! I can list a really good number of ex-breeding rabbits who have been found to have uterine cancer when they finally make their way into rescue and are spayed; it makes no difference at all! And of course no womb=no risk of uterine cancer/pyometra. Having a womb=risk of uterine cancer/pyometra. Simples!

I wanted to breed my rabbit just once when I was younger, before I knew lots of rabbits are homeless. Just for the experience of watching cute babies grow up. I was going to keep them all though. I researched loads but never ended up doing it, thankfully. This was around when I was 9 and again when I was 12.

I think you are being very hard on yourself Tracy.

We only ever had one rabbit at a time before we adopted G&T. But we did have two litters of GPs. The first one wasn't anything to do with us, Bubbles was pregnant when we bought her and we didn't know until she was heavily pregnant. We kept both her babies. The second time was just irresponsible on our part. She mated with her son and then had five little ones.:oops::oops: We kept two and found homes for the rest. I guess at the time it was the joy of seeing these little babies grow up, kind of a maternal instinct I guess. I know better now of course, but I was a child at the time and we only did it the once. Plus the nearest rescue we know of was about 50 miles away.

i agee.. the whole reason i got 2 females was so that they WOULDNT have babies..still trying to find an affordable spay tho

At the time, when we first bred Flash, it was just to have cute babies. :roll: They would all have been kept. This was before I knew about rabbit rescues, before I was involved in the RSPCA, before I knew anything.

The other litters were after Flash died and they were created and driven on by grief. It was stupid and selfish but I couldn't cope without him, so I tried to bring him back. I was well into a full on breakdown. I did many stupid, ignorant things, and both me and my bunnies paid for my stupidity. Not a day goes by where I don't feel guilt, or regret, or shame, and total self hatred for what I did.

The last litter was done far more responsibly than all the others, and it was my last. Again, still before I knew about rabbit rescues, still before my volunteering days, but I knew more and I had learnt about breeding- primarily because I had stuffed up before. That was my last litter and everything went right. All bunnies kept, all bunnies relatively healthy (although a rogue dental gene showed up). Those babies will be four at the start of June and I've not considered mating anyone since. It's now been just over three years since I got involved in the RSPCA and I have found another way to keep Flash with me, and alive. It doesn't have to be genetically. All my bunnies are spayed/neutered except Wish who is far too vulnerable.

I know I was stupid, and I know I deserve to be hated, so go ahead and do your worst because no one, not any one person could say anything or feel anything, that comes close to the hate I feel for myself.

Why on earth would anyone hate you? You only bred rabbits!

xxx

I had alot of buns in the past when i were growing up that were accidental litters.

I personally think there is an argument for and against this.

I think yes to some degree one purpose of life is to bring children into the world- to reproduce and create offspring. I think this should apply philosophically to a rabbit also- ( unless you thought they were a lower life form than yourself and not entitled to the same human rights). I do feel that humans play god in this respect with domesticated animals preventing offspring- in the same way a mother could get sterilized if she wanted to prevent children.

If we were to impose steralization on women- there would of course be uproar in our human society. In the animal society- imposing the same corresponding practice (neutering) is just done without even blinking an eyelid as standard. If women were to have the same imposed upon them- it would be a matter for human rights. So yes there is an element that what we are doing is fundamentally wrong. It is not natural for a rabbit to be neutered just as it is not natural for a woman to go through steralization.

In terms of keeping down the rabbit population and human beings being the ultimate power( except for god of course/the universe etc whatever you convene the spiritual presence on this planet to be) on this planet, rabbits are at the mercy of our decisions. It is of course in the human interest for rabbits not to reproduce, but if the rabbit had anything to say about it- I'm pretty sure that the "breed like rabbits mentality", is there due to the urge to procreate offspring for themselves on a deep programmed level.

I would say in my experience of having lots of litters in the past- all accidental i may add, it was fantastic fun raising kits. I enjoyed it, the rabbits enjoyed it. There were the odd few that died, but this is part of life and nature too.

Ultimately- there existence if only for a short while, the buns that were born, they were part of this reality, even though some actually were eaten by foxes in my childhood. To some people existence alone is important (like me)- to others- a nice life is of a certain standard or else it's not worth living.

We not only make the choice on if to neuter- we make the choice on if to end life- we aren't legally allowed to do this for our own species- (human beings), but we are allowed at a vets to put an animal down- again because they have less (rights), than human beings. In nature animals die the way that nature intended and to intervene- although sometimes helpful - is not necessarily right.

Going abit off topic....

Anyways- as for one litter- it's entirely a personal decision - if the buns can be homed etc and it's done with the right intentions i personally don't see why not. I have friends who breed dogs that go to loving homes. Yet there are and will always be dogs that need homes in rescue. This is their choice- they are not bad for this. It's there own life perspective and that must be respected, as no one is ultimately right or wrong about anything. It's all opinnion.

Of course from a rescue perspective, it's conflicting as there are so many animals out there that need homes etc and rescuing. I wouldn't personally suggest breeding or having a litter to anyone, but then it's not my decision that I'd be making. People should take responsibility for there own actions,regardless of what views and perspectives they have.

Please don't be so hard on yourself, you've learned from your mistakes which is far more than a lot of people do.

In entirely hypothetical bunny world, to have cute babies would be the only reason I, personally, would breed. I do sometimes look at how gorgeous my bunnies are and think it would be amazing like for Harvey and Lucy to have some cutesy little babies, but they are neutered and I know in reality it would be nothing like that!

I wanted to breed biggles and have one litter as i got him from a breeder and despite him being the runt he was from "good stock"

I actualy thought i could make some money from selling a few of the litters, though knowing how soft i am i wouldnt want to

I didnt like the thought of bigs being alone and id never heard of neutering, till i met donna

and I was lucky ( or unlucky from a buns point of view ) to be able to foster a mum with 7 kits and my god they were hard work, adorable but blimin hard

so reason,
wanted to produce a good line
make a few pennies and
keep a few of my own

I wouldnt now knowing what i know now

Bobby was from a friends accidental litter, or so she says, "accidental" She even offered to lend me Bobbys father to mate with her when we first got her.:shock:

They also mated their GPigs , my friends reasons were because they were cute.:roll:

All Bunnies and Piggies did go to good home though, and they kept a lot of them,

Bobby was speyed because of good advise from here

I had alot of buns in the past when i were growing up that were accidental litters.

I personally think there is an argument for and against this.

I think yes to some degree one purpose of life is to bring children into the world- to reproduce and create offspring. I think this should apply philosophically to a rabbit also- ( unless you thought they were a lower life form than yourself and not entitled to the same human rights). I do feel that humans play god in this respect with domesticated animals preventing offspring- in the same way a mother could get sterilized if she wanted to prevent children.

If we were to impose steralization on women- there would of course be uproar in our human society. In the animal society- imposing the same corresponding practice (neutering) is just done without even blinking an eyelid as standard. If women were to have the same imposed upon them- it would be a matter for human rights. So yes there is an element that what we are doing is fundamentally wrong. It is not natural for a rabbit to be neutered just as it is not natural for a woman to go through steralization.

In terms of keeping down the rabbit population and human beings being the ultimate power( except for god of course/the universe etc whatever you convene the spiritual presence on this planet to be) on this planet, rabbits are at the mercy of our decisions. It is of course in the human interest for rabbits not to reproduce, but if the rabbit had anything to say about it- I'm pretty sure that the "breed like rabbits mentality", is there due to the urge to procreate offspring for themselves on a deep programmed level.

I would say in my experience of having lots of litters in the past- all accidental i may add, it was fantastic fun raising kits. I enjoyed it, the rabbits enjoyed it. There were the odd few that died, but this is part of life and nature too.

Ultimately- there existence if only for a short while, the buns that were born, they were part of this reality, even though some actually were eaten by foxes in my childhood. To some people existence alone is important (like me)- to others- a nice life is of a certain standard or else it's not worth living.

We not only make the choice on if to neuter- we make the choice on if to end life- we aren't legally allowed to do this for our own species- (human beings), but we are allowed at a vets to put an animal down- again because they have less (rights), than human beings. In nature animals die the way that nature intended and to intervene- although sometimes helpful - is not necessarily right.

Going abit off topic....

Anyways- as for one litter- it's entirely a personal decision - if the buns can be homed etc and it's done with the right intentions i personally don't see why not. I have friends who breed dogs that go to loving homes. Yet there are and will always be dogs that need homes in rescue. This is their choice- they are not bad for this. It's there own life perspective and that must be respected, as no one is ultimately right or wrong about anything. It's all opinnion.

Of course from a rescue perspective, it's conflicting as there are so many animals out there that need homes etc and rescuing. I wouldn't personally suggest breeding or having a litter to anyone, but then it's not my decision that I'd be making. People should take responsibility for there own actions,regardless of what views and perspectives they have.

It's not 'natural' to keep Rabbits as pets !!

Also, how come you had many 'accidental' litters. I see this expression used on here a lot. One accident I can believe, but 2,3,4 .......... :?

As for your question Helen, I too am really intrigued as to people's reasons

Please don't be so hard on yourself, you've learned from your mistakes which is far more than a lot of people do.

Thanks. I need to be hard on myself though. The only way I will ever be a halfway decent owner is to be hard on myself and learn and keep improving.

That all said, I have learnt a lot about breeding and raising babies, the smart things to do, the stupid things to do, what to do, what not to do. I can advise people and whilst I can't bring back those lives I lost, or change the bunnies that suffered due to me, I can maybe help others from stuffing up in the same way.

I love my bunnies very much, and I'm so glad they are all here, but I do regret what I did, deeply. For all of them. But I wouldn't change those I have left, for the world. I would just change my actions.

Why on earth would anyone hate you? You only bred rabbits!

xxx

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

baby rabbits must be a wonderful thing to witness :love: if i weren't so scared of the going wrong stuff id deffo love to be able to allow a bunny to create new life..

i watch all the baby sheep playing in the fields and the cows too, i know they are destined to a horrible fate but wow new life is pretty amazing :love:

when i bought my chippies it wasnt with the intension to breed as such but i sought out non related chippies just incase they wanted to make a baby or two... hasn't worked out so great after all i'm too much of a stress head to be a nanna chipmunk and i try to seperate them when stella has a chirp day but Peanut was very special and i dont regret that mistake one little bit :love: :love:

It's not 'natural' to keep Rabbits as pets !!

Also, how come you had many 'accidental' litters. I see this expression used on here a lot. One accident I can believe, but 2,3,4 .......... :?

Too true Jane- it isn't natural to keep rabbits as pets- and so we shouldn't be keeping them, but we do.

Accidental in the sense i started out with one called cuddles- who bred with the neighbors rabbit, then she bred with wild rabbits also, as we lived on a farm. I was only small my dad thought we would just be having one bun but we ended up with a lot more, from the same bunny.

It's also easy for a bunny to get out of an enclosure if on grass and not under meshed etc and breed.

Cuddles used to potter about the farm without being confined to a hutch, she had an open dog kennel and survived for four years like that- then one day she disappeared.

My rabbits now in cages,hutches/runs have a more protected life but not as natural as cuddles. She escaped from the fox that got the kits out of the run also. So not protected, but she did have a great life, well fed and total freedom.

It's easy to have accidental litters with buns - especially when mis-sexing rabbits etc and rabbits breed so easily- so one encounter with a male is pretty much instant pregnancy. Also with insecure runs/hutches-(generally what is on the market today). I can see how it's easy to happen- unless a rabbit is neutered- human beings make errors in the way they keep bunnys. Neutering is the only fail safe method of keeping buns from becoming pregnant.

Back