• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do with wildie?

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
:?

My vets got an injured wildie handed in months ago, & they hand reared & fixed her. She is quite tame - will eat from hand & likes nose rubs.

She went for spaying, but didn't have any bits:? They took out what they could - but she is really small so possible just too small to see

I bonded her into my group of 6 - 2 boys 4 girls, & she was fine for months. Then she randomly attacked the boys - resulting in injury (for them) not serious, but I separated.

Since then I have tried to bond her with a single neutered boy & a single neutered girl, & a trio (2 girls, one boy). Tis not happening - all her.

So what now:?

She's in a 6x2hutch with attached 8x6 run & does get some free range time - although catching her is an issue, but she clearly isn't happy. (back to pacing). I've toyed with leaving her loose in garden - I have high fences & whole garden is under-meshed &/or paved, but I would worry re predators.:?

Both my wildies will attack domestics now that they are fully grown. The only solution I've found is to have 2 wildies together...they do scrap sometimes, but nobun ever gets hurt because they are matched in terms of speed, so the chasing bun doesn't catch the one being chased.

Angie, did you find your wildie was really gentle and timid as a youngster and then turned into a bit of a monster at about a year old?

Both my wildies will attack domestics now that they are fully grown. The only solution I've found is to have 2 wildies together...they do scrap sometimes, but nobun ever gets hurt because they are matched in terms of speed, so the chasing bun doesn't catch the one being chased.

Angie, did you find your wildie was really gentle and timid as a youngster and then turned into a bit of a monster at about a year old?

What kind of space are yours in? I'm very aware that when she's loose she uses whole garden to belt round.

And yes - that's what happened with her. She was really easy to bond & now is a right little :censored::lol:

Mine are in a 9ftx6ft aviary with a 4ft double hutch inside.

I don't have a secure garden, so mine can only go out in a run...which they don't particularly like doing because of the neighbours cats.

I have a male (neutered) and a female (un-spayed). They certainly aren't loved up, and spend most of their time apart...although the male (Thistle) does groom the female (Freddy) occasionally.

We have a couple of groups of wildies at Hopper.

There is one group of three, and another group of four, of whom (if I remember correctly) 2 are half wild, 1 is wild, and one is a very nervous little lionhead.

They are like a different species to the domestic rabbit, although just as :love:

i would just let it run around your garden. more natural. its obviously not content in a hutch and run so whats the harm? im sure it will be ok from cats and foxes.
living 3 years running round a garden, happy
is better than living 9 years in a hutch and run pacing all the time.

:wave:

i would just let it run around your garden. more natural. its obviously not content in a hutch and run so whats the harm? im sure it will be ok from cats and foxes.
living 3 years running round a garden, happy
is better than living 9 years in a hutch and run pacing all the time.

:wave:

Part of me is thinking that - but it's completely against what I would do with my domestics.

I could potentially look for her a wildie friend, but I'm not particularly wanting to take on any more and if they didn't bond/fell out I would have the same problem twice!!!

Free run of the garden is a nice idea as long as she can't get out :D

My wildie got out once and climbed into the engine space of my OH's car. It's a good job we saw her because otherwise she could have ended up squashed or cooked :shock:

Free run of the garden is a nice idea as long as she can't get out :D

My wildie got out once and climbed into the engine space of my OH's car. It's a good job we saw her because otherwise she could have ended up squashed or cooked :shock:

:shock:

It's all undermeshed, but there would be a bit of work needed at one side - it's more blocked than secure at the min. Then I'd have to double mesh my current runs, so she couldn't bite through to the buns inside.

Our wildie lived with 2 unsprayed girls and was fine. He was castrated and in the spring could become a bit feisty but otherwise they got on fine. Mine were in a 14ft by 6 ft run with a double 4th hutch. He like to sit on top of the hutch to watch what was going on but never seemed unhappy.

Are you sure the vets managed to remove everything, she perhaps still has ovarian tissue which is still producing hormones?

Our wildie lived with 2 unsprayed girls and was fine. He was castrated and in the spring could become a bit feisty but otherwise they got on fine. Mine were in a 14ft by 6 ft run with a double 4th hutch. He like to sit on top of the hutch to watch what was going on but never seemed unhappy.

Are you sure the vets managed to remove everything, she perhaps still has ovarian tissue which is still producing hormones?

Not sure at all - vets just took out what they could see. She is really tiny - even for a wildie. I spoke to them this week & they said they will scan her - but doubt anything will show, so might have to have to have another op to be sure.

There's those wires you can get that stretch accross between trees to stop herons nicking your fish. Maybe I can get some of those to stop any bird of prey issues and some electric fencing plugged into house above the 8foot fence. The fence is already concrete based and is a foot deep at min with mesh attached to it about 4 inches down.

There's those wires you can get that stretch accross between trees to stop herons nicking your fish. Maybe I can get some of those to stop any bird of prey issues and some electric fencing plugged into house above the 8foot fence. The fence is already concrete based and is a foot deep at min with mesh attached to it about 4 inches down.

If you can secure the perimeter of the garden and then from above as well it will be just like a big run. Wooden posts across the top over the garden would help secure the mesh and keep it up.

You could contact a zoo? they often have this for their monkey or vulture enclosures so they can be freerange. They could probably offer some tips.

I think it would be nice if you could try her with another wildie? There was one needing a home in Rabbits in Need at the end of last year but not sure if the thread is still up :/ You could have an agreement with the rescue/person that if it didnt work out they would take the bun back? I'm sure they wouldnt mind, thats the agreement I will have with the rescue when I collect the bun, as I simply dont have the space for two singles.

If she is happier running about the garden, then this would be what i would do. Like you say, its not something you would even contemplate with a domestic, but she is a different case.
Indeed there is a predator risk, which is a toughie, but, without sounding incredibly harsh, surely its better she has a life as close to what she would have in the wild, so she can live a happy frustration free life, than an entirely safe life feeling frustrated? Not sure if that came out right, because if something happened i know you would feel awful, despite the fact, you would, in my head, be doing right by the little wildie.
But, if it was my little wildie, would i follow my own advice? Im not so sure :oops:

If you can secure the perimeter of the garden and then from above as well it will be just like a big run. Wooden posts across the top over the garden would help secure the mesh and keep it up.

You could contact a zoo? they often have this for their monkey or vulture enclosures so they can be freerange. They could probably offer some tips.

I think it would be nice if you could try her with another wildie? There was one needing a home in Rabbits in Need at the end of last year but not sure if the thread is still up :/ You could have an agreement with the rescue/person that if it didnt work out they would take the bun back? I'm sure they wouldnt mind, thats the agreement I will have with the rescue when I collect the bun, as I simply dont have the space for two singles.

^^ I would do this usually re returning a bun, but this last fallout came months after bonding & I couldn't return a bun months later.

I'm gonna have a think this weekend.

Back