• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how old can they be to be neutered U/D Vets

cooldarls

Alpha Buck
My two french lop boys are 11 weks old and am just wondering how old do they need to be before i can get them neutered. Bracken is showing signs of scenting everything ie rubbing his bottom jaw on everthing. Dont want them to fight and the bond be broken, they love eachother so much

Last edited:
When their bits drop (and the vet says they are mature enough) :)

ETA- I've had smaller bunnies done at 10, 11, 12, weeks, but not sure yours will be developed enough right now.

Last edited:
My two french lop boys are 11 weks old and am just wondering how old do they need to be before i can get them neutered. Bracken is showing signs of scenting everything ie rubbing his bottom jaw on everthing. Dont want them to fight and the bond be broken, they love eachother so much

I think about 20 weeks is the earliest. I don't think you will have any problems re fighting for quite a while yet if at all. But still best to have them neutered.

The lady on the phone said they need to be 4 to 6 months that 16 weeks old. noticed bracken is spraying everywhere in his run too. this is a sign of maturity isnt it?

Well things went from bad to worse. Bracken nipped Barney this afternoon and Barney now hows a bite on his ear. Vet called around to speak to dad so grabbed him while he was here, he says boys are being boys, Barney who has been nipped has one testicle dropped, Bracken doesn't. so they need to wait till they both drop. The boys have been fine since, are now lying together in the evening sun. he said they can nip if trying to figure out who is boss in te group. Really do not want to sepreate them cos they do everything together.

THanks for help and advise today

If you do need to separate them can you do so in a way that they can still see and smell each other? This will help prevent the bond being broken.

And yes, spraying is a sign of sexual maturity, your boys are hitting puberty :)

If you do need to separate them can you do so in a way that they can still see and smell each other? This will help prevent the bond being broken.

And yes, spraying is a sign of sexual maturity, your boys are hitting puberty :)

If i had to seperate them then yes they can go into runs which are side by side. One would have a smaller hutch though for a time as they are in a 6 1/2 ft hutch at the mo with a 8ft run attached. seperated them today when bracken bit barney but they looked so sad and vet said they would be fine together.

thinking about bracken spraying it was not the orangey colour just clear and the vet said his bits havent dropped yet.

my boys cant be growing up they are my babies lol

Just keep a very close eye on them as I have just had to let a baby bun go under a GA as his brother bit his testicles and bit right through the uretha and urine was leaking in to his tummy:?.

I would definately leave them until they are 5 to 6mths old though I have never done any of my giants before this age.

Just keep a very close eye on them as I have just had to let a baby bun go under a GA as his brother bit his testicles and bit right through the uretha and urine was leaking in to his tummy:?.

I would definately leave them until they are 5 to 6mths old though I have never done any of my giants before this age.

Thanks Kayj, looks like i may have to swap my bunnies around so they can go in hutches and runs next to each other

I would separate them for the time being to keep them safe, after having a similar thing my my boys, and ending up having to clean up loads of blood on both bunny and hutch I wouldnt want to go through that again and it could have been much worse. If they are ok when outside together you could let them out at the same time and like others suggest let them see each other so they remain friends (my 2 arent friends any more:()

Back