• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried About Theodore

FarplaceRescue

Alpha Buck
One of my recent rescues is a young adult male called Theodore. He constantly weaves backwards and forwards across the front of his hutch, manically. I just want to cry.... cant cope with seeing him like this.
He eats very little, drinks normal amounts of water, but never stops moving 4hops one way, 4 hops the other, hour after hour.
He is in a small hutch - perhaps 4footx18inchx 18inch, which I know is not nearly big enough. It's the hutch he came to me in, and at the moment I have nothing better. I am working on this.
He's currently un-neutered. I am booking him in for castration and a dental check-up next week. He is part-way through his vaccinations. When he had his VHD vaccine, the vet checked him over and found no obvious health problems.
When he came to me he had no hay - just a deep sawdust base. He has lots of hay now, but hardly touches it.
He looks, and acts, like a wild rabbit. Click on pic for a bigger view.

By the chewing of the cage, i'd say he is VERY much hating being caged.

He sounds VERY bored to me and is trying to burn off the energy he has, but can't.

Can you get a video of him weaving?

I dont get what you mean, whether he is weaving due to poor eyesight or is he pacing like a caged animal?

He's bored
He needs more space and neutering may help..if he is left to do this for a long time it will become a learned behaviour and will take time to stop..as in any caged animal
We had a bun, Mr Magoo, who had been kept in a small cage and he circled constantly..took him a while to stop..but now he is bonded and lives in half a large shed..he only circles when he's excited..food time:D

Try to get the bun out into your house for run time..give him things to look at such as a carboard box..and things to chew like apple sticks..keep him amused and he will break the cycle

I will try to get a video. He's pacing like a caged animal. I have only had him a week, but he's been in this hutch for a long time. Im gradually making life better for him (and the other 8 rabbits who came in at the same time) with a better diet and medical attention. I have given him toys, but he ignores them. When he's castrated, he will have a spayed friend to get to know.
What can I do?

it simply is he needs more space and time
it's the same behaviour you see in zoo animals...weaving, pacing, or aggression through boredom and/or frustration
As said in earlier post get him out into your home for a run around..that will help

I have a big dog crate in the house. I will try theodore in there with lots of hay and some boxes and shelves. Will report back.
I may have a foster home for him, which would be fantastic - but i will get him neutered first.

Definitely boredom & not enough space.

I actually have a simialr issue with my wildie. She did it loads, until bonded. She was in a group fore several months but then battered the two boys (resulting in injury), so I had to separate.

She's just started doing it again. Dunno what to do with her now:? She's in an 8x6 with attached 6x2 hutch, plus free range but she needs more:?

I agree with the others....a bigger hutch with a run, neutering and a girlfriend should improve his behaviour a lot.

I don't *think* Theodore looks like a wildie (his ears look too big), but I guess he could be crossed with one.

My wildies like to climb and chew...so need lots of toys to throw around, wooden stuff to chew, plus things like plastic stools and large upturned plantpots to jump up and down onto/off of

I have a big dog crate in the house. I will try theodore in there with lots of hay and some boxes and shelves. Will report back.
I may have a foster home for him, which would be fantastic - but i will get him neutered first.

a big dog crate wont be big enough. My two have that as a base, he needs a good run around in open space, such as a bunny proof room, or at least a bunny-supervised room, for a good few hours AT LEAST per day.

He's very bored :(

This is amazing..... He has had an hour-long run around the living room. Supervised because it is not bunny-safe. Then he went into the big dog crate, which is set up with different levels, a play tunnel and some willow wands, as well as the hay, food and water.
He's sitting on top of his box, RELAXED!! :D
When I approach the crate, he hops over to see me and wants his nose rubbed, instead of the usual manic behaviour.
He's like a different rabbit!!

Well done :D

It's so lovely when RU can offer advice, people take it on board and then we hear the positive results.

So pleased he's relaxed. You must be chuffed to bits :wave:

Back