• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you describe your rabbits to others?

How do you describe your male and female buns to others

• Doe and/or buck

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Female and/or male

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Girl and/or boy

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • Husbun and wife

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • other - please state :-)

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
I am sitting here wondering who calls their beloved bunnies does and bucks as opposed to female/male.

I get the impression that, whilst correct, it's only really people who are breeders, fanciers or sellers that call them by the technical terms. I only ever call mine boys and girls, males and females or husbuns and wives.

Maybe I am way off the mark here but I feel that doe and buck, whilst absolutley right is a bit coldhearted.

What do you call yours when telling people about your bunnies?

Last edited:
I call them boys and girls. That's what they are - my lovely little boys and girl!

Girl or boy normally. I would say husbun and wife but I think I'd get odd stares. :roll::lol:

I would say husbun and wife but I think I'd get odd stares. :roll::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Yep, that's definitely not a phrase to use in front of non-bunny people. :lol::lol::lol:

I usually call them boy and girl or occasionally male and female (but even that sounds a little cold - I wouldn't describe one of my kids as male or female to somebody and the same goes for the bunnies).

:lol::lol::lol: Yep, that's definitely not a phrase to use in front of non-bunny people. :lol::lol::lol:

I usually call them boy and girl or occasionally male and female (but even that sounds a little cold - I wouldn't describe one of my kids as male or female to somebody and the same goes for the bunnies).

I almost said it at the vets once :oops: Mischa had to stay overnight so they could do an xray in the morning and I said 'can his, erm... partner stay with him?'

If I'm talking a breeder I'll usually say buck/doe, sometimes male/female

To everyone else I usually say girl/boy male/female :lol:

I chose the three middle options. It depends on who I am talking to. Doe and buck sound too technical, and I don't call them my children or babies, either, as I only use that for humans. :)

The Boys and Her Ladyship at the vets, boys & girl generally.

I did call Butters Lady Jane's 'boyfriend' at the vets last week :lol:

Babies.......:love:....
don't care if folks "think I'm going a little crazy.........um umm...maybe I already am, oh yeah I've forgotten..whoop!" (ref: Sonique/spell on you)

Last edited:
Usually boys. I've never said doe/buck but I don't feel thats cold hearted sounding. It sounds normal to me, like calling baby dogs puppies.

The kids, Brother & Sister :)

Although they ain't at all related, they act more like a brother and sister. Sometimes together, but mostly apart.

Depends who i am talking to - normally 'the brown boy one' and 'the white girl one' :lol:

Babies.......:love:....
don't care if folks "think I'm going a little crazy.........um umm...maybe I already am, oh yeah I've forgotten..whoop!" (ref: Sonique/spell on you)

My girlfriend calls them the babies...it is so annoying! :lol:

Back