• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mega vibes for Sprocket - back from emergency vets! update 6PM 6/4

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
Its 1 am, Sprocket was taken ill suddenly with a gassy tum. We've been to the out of hours vet and he's been given gut stimulants and I've managed to syringe some bio lapis into him. Vet said it's not doughy tum or full on bloat but his tum is a bit gassy and it's obviously causing him some discomfort. He's back in the aviary/kennel now in the hope that familiar surroundings will settle him, vet decided against keeping him in over night for not wanting to stress him out any further. Hopefully he will get through the night and be on the mend by the time I go out to give them breakfast. he said if there's no improvement to take him to our usual vet first thing and get a drip into him. :cry::cry: He was trying a few pellets when I left but he was refusing even those and greens earlier.

Please send mega vibes for my little lop bun!!

Last edited:
oh dear poor bunny. My vet would advise painkiller as well and also Infacol what you give to babies. 3ml per bunny up to three times a day. It does work . Hope he is better in the morning x

Thanks for the vibes. :D I checked on him around 3am and again at six. He seems fine now, he's been nomming hay and a few pellets, has had a drink and a wee and done some poops and seems a lot more comfortable now. Thank goodness!

Still sending vibes!! Stephan will be in this afternoon if he has any more problems (just to put your mind at ease but hopefully you won't need to go!!!)
Nosey rubs to Sproket

Thanks Michelle. Will the night vet notify Companion Care of the treatment do you know? He was eating, drinking etc on his own this morning so hopefully is on the mend. :)

Thanks Jane, Gray and Tracy. Aside from Infacol is there anything else that I should stock up on in case this happens again? Can Bio lapis and metacam be purchased other than through a vets? The vet said he wasn't bloated or "doughy" but there was some gas present at the time of the examination. He was given two injections, I believ one or both were a gut stimulant, the invoice doesn't say what he was given and I was sent home with a sachet of bio lapis, which I managed to get a bit into him. I'm so glad we took him in though, bless Ian, he'd just gone to bed and had to get up to drive in to the vet. :love:

You can't get metacam without a prescription but my vet has prescribed some for Smudge in event of stasis so that we don't have to stress him by taking him tot he emergency vets straight away.

Thanks Jane, Gray and Tracy. Aside from Infacol is there anything else that I should stock up on in case this happens again? Can Bio lapis and metacam be purchased other than through a vets? The vet said he wasn't bloated or "doughy" but there was some gas present at the time of the examination. He was given two injections, I believ one or both were a gut stimulant, the invoice doesn't say what he was given and I was sent home with a sachet of bio lapis, which I managed to get a bit into him. I'm so glad we took him in though, bless Ian, he'd just gone to bed and had to get up to drive in to the vet. :love:

I'd of thought he should of had pain relief in that situation. Thing with metacam is i think you have to get a prescription from the vet before you can get it?

Bio-lapis you can certainly buy online without a prescription, its just a probiotic. http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...o-lapis-sachet-for-rabbits-and-rodents-p-1175 i have a couple of sachets here in my 'bunny box'.

Would metacam have been injected or given orally in this situation? As I said I'm not exactly sure whether both injections were the gut stimulant but we definitely weren't given anything else to take way with us. :? Also I did mention that he'd just completed a course of Septrin so the vet may have not wanted to overload his system with a cocktail of drugs. Either way he seemed a lot brighter this morning. :D

Last edited:
Glad he is doing better :)

Metacam would likely have been injected at the vets, I would have thought.

Woo! that's awesome. Hopefully that will continue even when the meds wear off. Bet that was a relief to see that!

Back